24 hours with Simplify3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 hours with Simplify3D

I thought I would share my experiences with Simplify3D.

Having read a lot of positive things about S3D I thought I would take the plunge, it's a lot of money but I believed it was worth it if the results were that good.

According to their sales information, my printer is supported (Felix V2) in reality, it isn't! On installation you are asked for your printer model, mine wasn't listed so it has to be set up manually, yes my printer is supported but only as a generic device, very misleading information.

To connect via USB, one would think very straight forward, no, several hours of tweaking settings and googling before S3D would "talk" to my machine, just to add to the frustration, every time I cancelled a job or closed the programme, it lost the connection settings and had to be re-configured!

Once I realised these "quirks" I was ready to print.

I couldn't get it to produce a skirt prior to printing, no matter how many times I checked the settings, which resulted in filament not feeding prior to starting the actual print, it oozed filament during printing so much that the height sensor fouled on it and caused my machine to "crash". (Sensor shorting on hotend).

I have requested my money back, reluctantly, they have agreed.

I'm sure for quite a few people Simplify3D has worked wonderfully and helped produce some great prints? For me, alas not. Considering there are free options of software out there that work for me so much better, this is way over priced.

Having read a lot of positive things about S3D I thought I would take the plunge, it's a lot of money but I believed it was worth it if the results were that good.

According to their sales information, my printer is supported (Felix V2) in reality, it isn't! On installation you are asked for your printer model, mine wasn't listed so it has to be set up manually, yes my printer is supported but only as a generic device, very misleading information.

To connect via USB, one would think very straight forward, no, several hours of tweaking settings and googling before S3D would "talk" to my machine, just to add to the frustration, every time I cancelled a job or closed the programme, it lost the connection settings and had to be re-configured!

I couldn't get it to produce a skirt prior to printing, no matter how many times I checked the settings, which resulted in filament not feeding prior to starting the actual print, it oozed filament during printing so much that the height sensor fouled on it and caused my machine to "crash". (Sensor shorting on hotend).

I'm sure for quite a few people Simplify3D has worked wonderfully and helped produce some great prints? For me, alas not. Considering there are free options of software out there that work for me so much better, this is way over priced.

Comment

Comment

Working...
      X