Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backwards Compatibility

Hello all, I have a question,

we have different programm versions in our homes and school, and if we make an object in our school it is impossible to open it at home (as a sldprt file). Is there any way, like saving it as a .step file, that can goa round this obstacle?

Thanks in advance

Solidworks is a cruel mistress. There is no way to save a native Solidworks file back down to a previous version. A SW2016 file won't be able to open in any prior version (2015, 14, 13...0). Things get even muddier when you mix the educational version in. I believe the educational version lags a year behind the professional version. It may not be a full year, but I'm almost sure there is some kind of time shift between them, making compatibility difficult. You can save the Solidworks file out as a dumb solid like Parasolid, STEP, or IGES, but doing that doesn't retain your feature tree. You can still use this file, but if you want to modify anything, you will need to extrude/cut, or use direct editing tools like "move face". Sorry there isn't a better answer.

Comment

Yeah I figured... Officially the full and the educational version have no diferences filewise. Of course the edu edition is a very limited solidworks. I mean for fucks sake they dont even include rendering or flow simulaiton. But I cant complain for getting half a $3500 program for free.

Comment

I think the flow simulation package is a separate module and is one of the most expensive. I want to say that it is a $10,000 add on to the base program.

However, I've been plugging Fusion 360 and Onshape to anybody that is interested in mechanical design software. They are both some level of free, but still pack professional level capabilities. I've got access to a full seat of Solidworks through work, but have been doing all of my side projects in those other programs and have been very impressed. Onshape has an app store with rendering, simulation, and a number of other features, many with free options. Fusion 360 has basic physical simulation, 3 axis CAM, and rendering built in as well. While both software packages have shortcomings, they're both exceptional tools for the price. Plus, they are great for helping not get too stuck and too accustomed to a single software package.

Comment

Couldn't agree more, Solidworks is also heading to Cloud CAD based on their 2015 worlds event. The only notable addition to this discussion is that drawings created which contain parts modelled in the educational version are watermarked with a 'this was made in SW educational' or something similar. To find the offending part(s) look for the small black academic cap and remodel / reimport as some other file format.

Comment

Sponsors

Collapse
          Working...
          X