Prusa i3 aluminum firmware problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prusa i3 aluminum firmware problems?

I just assembled my first printer and seems fine i got the firmware for the printer but seems like when I'm configuring it the z axis won't move up and down and can't seem to home the axis. What am i don't wrong or should i just start again.

If one axis isn't moving go though the standard troubleshooting stuff for electronics.
    Is it plugged in?
    Are the connections good?
    Smell anything burning?
    Did you try to plug the Z motor into X or Y drivers?
    Did you try to plug the Y or Y motors into the Z driver?

Depending on your machine you might have to configure the Z axis differently than the other two. The axis could be moving but the steps/mm is soo far out it doesn't look like its moving~ only moves 1/16 of a step when commanded to move 1mm.

The more advanced reasons it might not be running are a bad motor or bad driver/something wasn't soldered correctly/well enough or not at all. On some setups if incorrectly wired will fry the electronics for the pins and kill that part of the board only. but the top of the list will usually figure out how bad it is.

Comment

What kind of drive do you have on the Z axis - threaded rod (size/type) or lead screw (size/type)... big difference between the two... On my machine for example with M8 1.25 pitch threaded rod, the steps per mm was over 2700. With the T8 lead screw, it was under 380... So if I tried to drive a threaded rod with the lead screw steps, it would not move very much.

You can also try plugging your Z axis into a different driver and jog it in software... (plug it into the Y driver, then move the y axis). Try the simplest things first. Do the other axis move?

Comment

I actually got the moving issue fixed already, but when i try to print the filament goes the opposite direction and gets pushed out instead of pulled in .

Comment

Thanks though hehe any suggestions for the filament

Comment

Did you accidentally swap positive and negative leads on your motor? Connecting motor wiring backwards will usually run a motor in the opposite direction.
            Last edited by AndrewBougie; 09-26-2015, 10:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I second what AndrewBougie stated... If it is running in the opposite direction, turn the connector on your printer board around. That should fix it.

Comment

Problem solved

Comment

Thanks guys was reversed wire issue

Comment

Cool. So you have a fully functional printer now? What kind of stuff will you be printing?

Comment

Great to hear that you got it working. Wiring problems can be a real pain. As for filament, I just ordered two spools from Boots Industries.I found them on the board here:
                      http://www.3dprintingforum.org/threa...ots+industries
                      and am really impressed. Price is good. I got a spool of red and natural PLA. They are both awesome. Already went through the red and natural is transparent... pretty cool.

Comment

Hehe i got the printer out of pure fascination. Although i plan too make things for my desk at work for starters. When i see awesome things at work it makes me feel less stressed

Comment

But i also want to print jewelry maybe even design some simple items. For friends and maybe try the process of having people commission prints thru me

Comment

Applekeith I'm a very paranoid person so I'll ask this before i purchase from that site. Is it trustworthy? if so I'm placing my order tomorrow.

Comment

Printed desk objects are awesome. Unfortunately (or really fortunately) in addition to having a standard printer at home, I run a couple of pro printers at work that allow me to print some stuff like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Print_Desk_Shrooms.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	21405Click image for larger version

Name:	Print_Dragon.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	21406Click image for larger version

Name:	Print_Halo_Magnum.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	21407

I'm sure you can imagine how many cool but useless trinkets I have on my desk. I recently got a Replicator 2X up and running at my house and I'll probably start printing some of the cool low-poly models you can find on Thingiverse, like this one.

Comment

That's so cool!! Omg now i want to print the little bear.

Comment

I really liked the hinge design on that bear model. I'm also going to be printing the awesome low poly retro set from Flowalistik.

Comment

Lol i so far printed 3 low poly bulbasaur planters lol.

Comment

Working...
                                    X