Hot end temp check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot end temp check?

What tools do you use to run diagnostics on the hot end? I'm thinking of some kind of external sensor that would work independently of the machine's sensors.

I am having some apparent heating issues on a WanHao & an Ultimaker.
    -- I think the Ultimaker will need some new sensors (trying to figure out which one(s) exactly... hard to do without a diagram or something, just reading maintenance stuff and matching the parts on the pictures/videos to the names given in the explanation. If you know of a better source for this, link me?) It's currently disassembled until I can figure out which part I need and find a replacement for it (preferably something cheaper than the Ultimaker website. working on a tight budget).
    -- The WanHao is still assembled, and we are able to get decent prints off the left extruder (it's a dual). The right extruder "works" but the prints are very rough on the top and it fails frequently. Other issues we've noticed while printing on the right one all seem to be symptoms of heating issues, like the printer is sensing the wrong temperature. (This could be a sensor issue, or a motherboard problem. We've had motherboard issues in the past.)

Whatever tools I might need, they need to be interchangeable and work on pretty much any printer on the market. We have 3 different brands right now and might be getting a 4th soon, though we hope to start working on streamlining the brands we use so we don't have to learn the quirks of several different brands. Also, I need low cost tools and parts, and the websites/stores/sources. My budget is.... interesting.... to work with and I currently have to go through at least 2 people before the part can be purchased/ordered.

And finally, because I know it will matter, I am located in Arizona. If you know of local places for printers/parts, I'm all for it! We're starting to consider finding physical stores to purchase from so we can return/exchange if necessary.

TIA!

~~ LibraryDragon ~~

whatever thermistor you use outside the specific one for your machine will need to be set properly in config or it will read wrong easiest way is too look in config and find a sensor they list as a choice and get one of them or get original a 100k NTC thermistor is only a couple dollars so bypass the management and make it an early xmas present as long as marlin or whatever has that thermistor to choose from it saves further headache of calibrating and tables. To accurately measure a digital thermistor pyrometer could be used but thermistors need to in same spot check out Omega Engineering for all kinds of testing stuff they even have thermistors. Personally I don't really worry actual temp if my printer says 200 and pla is good it works for me as each roll of filament prints different

Comment

I've been trying to transition to ABS plastic printing, and now considering by budget that may have been a mistake, but not the first and not the last. ANYWAY: My current problem is that my QUBD Two-Up board seems not to be able to generate the required temperature. This is probably due to the firmware settings, they've never been very good, but the GEEEtech board on this thing has never accepted a firmware update, and I don't know what else to do here. If I can't solve this I may have to keep this one going on PLA and buy a whole new one (better one) for ABS plastic if in the future I can afford it. In the meantime I've got 2 rolls of ABS here that I bought instead of PLA because of course I did.

So I guess my question is: Is there a way to either set the thermistor offset in G-code, or to set the max temp higher without loading new firmware?

Comment

Most of the time there is limit set by the firmware. Usually because of the limits and materials the printer is made from. If you have an all metal hot end with no peek liner then there should be no problems. Some people seem to forget even if you have an all metal hot end don't forget the wire which go into the block also have to be rate for those temps aswell. People usually end up melting the insulation off. Look for heater cores and thermisters which have a fiberglass/silicon insulation.

Comment

Working...
        X