Wanhoa i3 axis motor will not home or move, just shutters in place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanhoa i3 axis motor will not home or move, just shutters in place

I just recently acquired an old Wanhoa i3 Version 1. Got the things tuned up and running. It was working great for a couple days. After doing a bearing mount mod only the X-Axis will not move or home. It just violently shutters in place like it is having a seizure. The axis is not binding since is moves freely without the belt. The Y and Z home and move just fine. There may be a eeprom setting i messed up some where after doing the Extruder and Heated Bed PID tuning. If anyone has an idea that would be great. Will looking things over when home tonight. I am hoping it is not a controller board issues. I could swap the X and Y motors on controler to see if the y-axis motor does the same thing.

So it is nothing in the EEProm settings. Went thru them and found nothing wrong. In the video I homed the Y first then X which you can hear violently shaking.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l48...ew?usp=sharing
    Then on the controller I swapped the the X/Y motors, and X/Y limit switches. Then homed the Y axis which is now the X motor. so the X motor shook on the Y Controller and the Y motor works fine on the X controller. This rules out the controller. So it is either the cable or the motor. Has anyone ever had a motor go bad on these things? Next is to just test the cable.

Comment

So it turns out the motor is bad, actually a bad solder connection in the motor. Pins 1,3 and 4,6.When measuring at the pin there is no connection between 1,3 and 4,6 read about 3.6 ohms. Measuring on the solder joint for 1,3 I get 3.6 ohms. In the photo the solder joint on pin 1 (left most in picture) looks horrible. hopefully re-soldering this will work.

Comment

The repair worked. What bothers me is the wire coating was not stripped so the solder was only stick to the tip of cut wire. Not sure how this motor pass QC. The solder joint alone just looked bad.

Comment

Have you contacted Wanhao?

Comment

This is a much older printer. Steppers are dated 2015. Well if anyone else has somewhat the same problem this fix might be worth checking as it cost nothing if you have a soldering iron and electricity. I will send them a message for future reference.

Comment

Working...
            X