Dried filament

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dried filament

Hi. Where I live we usually have at least 70% of air humidity. It makes reaaly dificult to have your filament dry enough to get good prints. Till now I have been drying my rolls in the oven... a bad way to do it in my opinion, if you are not reaaly takeing care of it you will end up ruining a complete roll, bending your rolls, etc. In conclusion, a very unconfortable way to do it specially because once your roll is dry, if you have a long print, like 20hs, you will start noticeing how the filament is absorbing humidity at the end.
    So I decided to build a drying chamber. And I didt it pretty well and nice: I have temp control, internal air circulation, etcs. And the once inside, the rolls stays there, the chambers is completly air tight. So once dried, I can pull the filament through a hole and print, so the filament never abosrbs humidity again.
    I have a humidity sensor inside. Once dried, inside the chanber humidity stays around 10%. And the quality of my prints are showing a huge impact
    Here it cames the "problem" : this chamber is new. I finished it 3 days ago. I did a first drying session, I started a drying cicle of 3 hours. Did some prints and smiled...
    Then I decided to take the drying further: I did a 5 hours drying cicle. After that I did another print. ANd here it comes the strange thing: nothing changed in my printer, nothing changed on my setting. But this time, I tried to print PLA, at 180 degrees. It went well at the first layers then I started to have like underextrusion problems. I tried to manually extrude and I noticed that it was somehow hard to extrude. It was like the usual 180 degrees now were not enough. I simply solved the problem rising temperature. Now Im printing at 200 degrees.

I have to say that before increasing temp, I checked many things: there is no clogged noozle (I did and atomic pull, used my 0.4 needle to check noozle). I checked filament diameter, I check my hobbed bolt, etc. Everything was like always.

So I have to ask: anybody knows if a super dry filament need more temperature than another that has some humidity ?

Thanks in advance

I live in a pretty dry climate, so I don't worry too much about humidity, but I'd consider printing at 180 to be really low for PLA. Around 200 is where I usually print at.

Comment

Sponsors

Collapse
    Working...
    X