Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my pro 1.0 mods so far - nothing spectular

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • my pro 1.0 mods so far - nothing spectular

    I bought some Igus cable chain and replaced the flexible wire carrier that went to the hot end with it. Then I wanted to install it on the right side also. I did, but what an ordeal. I did it to myself. I should have removed the filament before I started. But I didn't. I ended up breaking the filament off in the hot end. I took it all apart and heated it up with a torch and got the broken piece out. Got it all put back together with my cable chain and then I homed the axis and checked my z offset. It was way off. the nozzle was off the bed by 1/8" probably. I cycled power to the machine and tried again. Same thing. I took the hot end back out and re-installed it. Home axis and check z offset, still way off. I was a little nervous about adjusting the z offset since I had just taken this all apart. I figured I didn't clip something in right or something didn't settle correctly. I adjusted my z offset from 1.87 down to 0.60. I don't know what I missed or what I did wrong but it is printing again. Anyone else experience something like this?

    So now I have cable chain on the top and side wires. I replaced the teflon tube and fittings (Bowden tube?) whatever it's called. I bought metal metric tube fittings and they are all metal, including the locks. I had problems with the black plastic locks breaking. I have some with male and female threads so I screwed 2 together and that is my coupling over the hot end. The metal fitting I installed at the feed wheel, I had noticed that the little lock was sliding in and out, whenever the filament would change direction in the tube. I also noticed a tiny pile of very fine shavings under it so I made a horseshoe out of a flat washer and jammed it into the gap between the lock and the fitting body. No more sliding.
    The last mod on my list that I haven't done yet is to add some bright white LED's to the front of the hot end carriage, so I can see the nozzle and what's printing a little better.

    Lesson learned: always remove my filament before pulling the covers off my pro.

  • #2
    I have always liked the look of Igus chains on a printer. Looks more industrial and can improve the reliability/life of the cabling. Having to adjust your z offset is common whenever you remove your hotend for disassembly. In my experience, it will rarely go back exactly where it was before you removed it. Of course, this depends on the design and how the hotend is attached. Nice upgrades. The lighting will add a lot as well!

    Comment


    • #3
      I have evolved a little more...
      I replaced the original hot end with an E3D V6 hot end. It took a little MacGyvering but it came out good.
      I added a printinz build bed. Between the E3D V6 hot end and the printinz plate I had to almost fully compress the springs on the bed leveling studs. And add a lot to the z offset.
      The last thing I did was I bought S3D for myself for Christmas. A little trial and error and I am up and printing with a million new controls. Maybe not a million, but a lot. New stuff to try. So far so good.
      In the words of the late great Frank Zappa,
      I'm a
      printing fool
      I'm a
      printing fool
      I might be totally wrong but I'm a
      printing fool

      I guess you had to be there...

      Comment

      Sponsors

      Collapse
      Working...
      X