Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On PowerSpec Ultra/Pro - Having issues with the Extruder Head Cables - Any Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On PowerSpec Ultra/Pro - Having issues with the Extruder Head Cables - Any Ideas

Hello All

Specifically, I am experiencing a number of issues with the supplied corrugated (plastic) wrap around the extruder head wires. At first, when I attached the head - I did not realize I had twisted the cable and that was causing all sorts of problems by catching the filaments and even jamming between the head and the side of the machine.

So that was corrected; however, I still have issues of it being stiff and catching on the filament tubes on occasion - pulling them out of the extruder head.

I believe going to a cloth type of wrap may work best - any other ideas or thoughts?

Got any pictures of your current setup? It would help. I just use spiral wrap on my prusa and some black tube stuff for my delta...

Comment

The PITA wire tube of the PowerSpec Ultra/Pro

Here it is, the black corrugated wrap with wire ties around it - the two smaller tubes are for the filaments. It also interferes with the spools if they are new - I can only use one new spool at a time. The entire design is flawed and working a means to correct it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ExtruderCable.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	21686

Thank you for any ideas.

Comment

How about tie all 3 together at the extruders, then again about 2-3 inches higher. Seems to me, the tubes have to move with the extruders as does the wiring harness. I would probably bundle them up to the top of their arch. See if it helps.

Comment

I used a bread wire tie on mine to fix that issue. The only issue I have now is the head movement tends to shove the filament feed tubes into the clips on the back of the printer. Over time it causes binding issues as the part of the tube that can move is shortened.

Comment

I am having that same issue with my filament tubes - I do not dare start LONG jobs because I simply cannot trust that they will finish without me being here to insure that the cable and filament wrap do not get tangled.

The good news is that at work, I was discussing this and I think I might of found a solution - it is a fabric based, high temperature tube that can be shrunk (kind of like heat shrink tubes) so that it conforms to the wires; however, remains flexible. Depending on pricing, I think I will see about buying a spool of it and selling it for cost to folks here that want to try it. But first - I need to see if I can try some and whether-or-not it works good.

I will keep you posted

Comment

Sounds like a plan... post some pictures when you get it fixed.

Comment

OK, the engineer at work ordered me a 25' spool of fabric, heat shrink wire covering - that can withstand up to 800 degrees (F) - so that should be in sometime next week and I will do some testing - then let you all know.

Comment

High temp heat shrink fabric... sounds really cool. Look forward to your update.

Comment

Well, good and bad news - I received the spool of heat shrink cloth tubing; however, even at a 2:1 ratio of shrinkage - it is too large for our usage.

So, I ordered the next smaller size and hopefully that will be good - I hope to see it Monday of next week and will to trials.

The one thing that I did discover is that a little dis-assembly of the printer in order to slide the tube over the harness prior to shrinking it - but it is not that hard of a task.

Comment

Oh, don't I know it... I have done that before. Welcome to the club!

Comment

Hey folks - got the second spool in tonight - it looks like this will work for us, I need to find time (maybe tomorrow or Thursday) to put it on and just see how it all works out.

I will take pictures of what I do (before, during and after) and let you know if this provides help.

Will keep you all posted.

Comment

I can't wait to see what you end up with.

Comment

How did it work out for you?

Comment

Well, let's try the reply again - I installed a length, shrank it and discovered that I did not leave enough length - so I will need to redo it; however, I am running a print test and thus far it seems to be working a lot better than the plastic corrugated wrap that comes with the printer.

My plans are to determine the correct length, include a couple wire ties for the ends, instructions - I will remember to take pictures this time and then post a sale thread in the correct forum. I assure you folks, I will only ask for cost of material and postage - all I ask in return is your thoughts and opinions

p.s. With Easter and a strong possibility of a new contract - I may not get to this until next weekend.

Comment

I printed a couple of these and clipped one near the extruders and one near back of frame.

Filament tubes and wire cable holder found on #Thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:745896

Comment

My printer has now started giving me "Tool 0 temperature read errors". Still prints but I think I may have a loose wire to the thermocouple (or it's broken)

Comment

You can check that with a multimeter. You should be able to disconnect the thermistor from the main board and ohm it out. You should be able to find the value from the BOM for your printer. Mine is a 100k thermistor. So, as long as it is not open, the actual ohm value read will depend on the actual ambient temp.

Hope that helps... let us know what you find.

Comment

Working...
                                    X