Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can marketplaces really protect your 3d files from stealing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can marketplaces really protect your 3d files from stealing?

I've read recently that a 3d network called treatstock has a kind of a 3d viewer that protects files from downloading, can that be true? have you heard anything about such technologies and can i really trust this network? here is that article http://www.3ders.org/articles/201607...sses-mode.html

I'd argue that you are never 100% safe. Having a viewer as an intermediary between the customer and the file gives you protection from passers by, but that isn't going to stop somebody from "Samuel Slater"-ing you and recreating their own model based on what they see in the preview image. Also, I don't know what kind of protections you get from somebody buying your model and then selling the .stl they get as their own. I don't have any firsthand experience trying to sell models on the digital marketplace though, so I wouldn't weigh my opinions as heavily as somebody who has.

Comment

thanks for sharing your opinion! yeah, agree, anyone can copy anything but it's more difficult and takes some time than just saving the file available for viewing, so it is not for those lazy ones or not intelligent enough...As far as i understand these guys do not suggest selling .stl but only the ready 'printed' items, so i suppose this 'safe viewing technology' might be true and useful unless someone knows how to break or steal it too but anyway it is smth interesting

Comment

Working...
      X