Printer recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer recommendations

I am a 3D artist who sells custom designs all over the world. I am looking at geting my own 3D printer. Most of my work is very detailed so I need a very accurate printer. I have been looking at the Ultimaker 2. Does anyone have some opinions they would like to share about this printer?

I am also looking for other printers that are comparable to this one for less money.

Thanks.

If you need accurate representations of highly detailed models, I doubt you'll be satisfied with any of these cheap FDM printers, particularly ones that don't feature soluble supports. It looks like Ultimaker has started experimenting with dual extruders, but they don't seem to have that working for a different support material yet.

For better replication of detail, look at SLA (laser) or DLP (projector) printers. There aren't any that are cheaper, unless you're willing to risk your money backing a funding campaign and wait a long time for delivery. If your customers are demanding solid output, you're probably best off using a service bureau local to them which uses a high-quality printer than trying to print things yourself on a cheap printer and shipping them, at least for now.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Comment

Everyone wants their printers to be accurate. Do you have a feature size that's the smallest you're going to use? For example, something that's a column 1 mm in diameter is very different than a wall that's that small.

Comment

After reading some of these posts I really can't wait to be able to understand more thoroughly what exactly it is everyone is talking about.
        What are dual extruders? And what's the difference between SLA(laser) or DLP(projector) printers?

Comment

Can't wait for my 3D printer. Making my own RePrap printer

Comment

Working...
          X