Ramps/Arduino MEGA standalone power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramps/Arduino MEGA standalone power

I have a FolgerTech i3/2020 as my first printer, and for some months now I've slowly built up a bit of experience/knowledge about 3D printing and this printer in particular. Now I'm ready to move on, and one of the things I would like to do is power the printer independent of the computer. Sounds easy right? There's 5-12volt input on the Arduino which I've used on other models with success. Just plug the PSU's 12Volt line straight in, and you're done. Well, I wouldn't post if that worked.

I've tried 5v, 9v and 12v and everything is still just as dead. Does the RAMPS 1.4 do something to the board that this power option isn't available? I presume the center is positive on the Arduino like it is on UNO. I would like some input on what obvious thing I'm missing here.

12v to the Ramps board should power the arduino.
    If you need pc power to run, my guess is that the voltage regulator on the arduino is fried. It's a 3 pin chip up near the power jack. Only usb power gets through otherwise.
    They're not too hard to buy and replace with basic soldering skills. You should find a how-to on Google.

There is also a diode on the Ramps board that feeds through to the arduino. I've read that sometimes they're not fitted though I'd guess it's not that if you have tried power thru the jack connector.
    -a
    I have some regulators surplus. If you're in the UK you can have one for the price of postage.

Comment

Originally posted by alan richard View Post
      12v to the Ramps board should power the arduino.
      If you need pc power to run, my guess is that the voltage regulator on the arduino is fried.
      Now that I have a second Arduino MEGA I see that my problem all along as been my Arduino that came with the printer. I just got new voltage regulators to attempt to fix my "original" Arduino. Thanks!

What is odd though - I can apply power to the barrol of the Arduino directly, and that works. Even at 12v.

It's a 3 pin chip up near the power jack. Only usb power gets through otherwise.
      They're not too hard to buy and replace with basic soldering skills. You should find a how-to on Google.
      That was the plan - and I do have a few mosfets STP55NF06L to do that with. Strangely enough, I've only focused on the ones on the RAMPS board - not the Arduino thinking they were the issue. Again, great advice and thank you!

There is also a diode on the Ramps board that feeds through to the arduino. I've read that sometimes they're not fitted though I'd guess it's not that if you have tried power thru the jack connector.
      D1 is present. I've done a lot of "googling" and quite frankly I was never able to find an answer I could understand. I think the reason is clear now. While I was looking to just power the Arduino part, people were posting about powering the RAMPS through the Arduino. Reading those pages again with that in mind, makes them make a lot more sense now. To me, that was never my issue

I have some regulators surplus. If you're in the UK you can have one for the price of postage.
      Actually, I have quite an electronics collection of new and old stuff around here. Turned out I had the 5v mosfets in a drawer but they were the bigger versions of what was on the Arduino. That said, I'm still not quite sure it's JUST the mosfet that's hoased but I lack the ability to test the component. Never the less, now that I have a spare MEGA I'll swap things out and give it a try.

Comment

Happy to help if I have.
        In my case it was only usb that would power the arduino and not the dc connector so hope I've not given duff info.
        For the price of a new Mega board it's maybe not worth a lot of effort of fixing one.
        I bought a 10 pack of those voltage regulators (is it a mosfet?) for little more than a single one. They can join my own collection of electronics old and new!
        Happy printing.

Comment

check the ramps fuses and the diode beside them as that is what feeds 12 v to arduino and its regulator

Comment

another thing you must look for is the diode on the ramps board under the x and y axis stepper driver boards as some came without it in which case no voltage input on the ramps input gets to Vin on arduino

Comment

Forum Sponsors

Collapse
            Working...
            X