Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Innovative new type of extruder: the Vaeder V-struder

Hi,

Something I wanted to share and that possibly will make fdm printing compete with sls and even sla printing

To start of I invented a new type of cold end, it does not use a hobbed bolt but a belt. So there will never be any grinding of the filament anymore and way less jamming of the nozzle. I hope it will inspire a whole new type of extruders, called "v-struders"

One of my first customers, a goldsmid, has let me know that he was able to print without any problems with a 0.1mm nozzle using moldlay wax filament. Im now searching for a place to buy a 0.1mm nozzle or even smaller so I can confirm this myself. Anyone knows a good webshop, preferably with fast shipping?
    To this moment I was only able to test the v-struder with a 0.4mm E3D nozzle. In an extrusion only test, using petg 1.75mm at 235 degrees celcius I was able to extrude up to 2 meters per minute of raw filament without any slip in a bowden configuration with a bowden tube of 1 meter long. For higher speeds the filament would buckle inside the cold end in the gap between the belt and the ptfe tubing... probably because the hot end's thermic capicity to meld the filament was reached.

You can buy it here: https://reprapworld.com/?products_de...8#.Vpo9WlKGNoc

Happy printing,

Vaeder

Looks like a good extruder you have there. Is it more suitable for smaller 3d printers? What's the strength like?

Cheers,
    www.3dexfilament.co.uk

Comment

Very interesting design. Thanks for sharing. I don't use nozzles that small, so I don't have a good source recommendation.

Comment

Just got two kits from RepRapworld.
        The assembly video is really bad -- terrible music -- instead of comments on build steps
        all you see is assemblers fingers in the way.
        There should be a written manual --- but with probably only two sales -- that's not comming
        unless I write one myself

I had missing parts No tires?

Powered thru the build
        had to bore out all holes and nut capture holes
        bore out printed pulleys to get bearings in
        -- looks like I got it right.
        but
        who knows without an Assembly drawing

There is no guide or feed between filament exit from belt
        to metal filament guide that is definitely a loading hang up spot,
        video shows plastic tube that was not in my kit

I think it may be impossible to use this a a DIRECT extruder
        because the clamps to hold hotend are PLA and would probably melt quickly,
        may have to make insulated adapter --- I didn't know it was Bowden only

I'll put it on a printer and try it out
        and
        maybe do a build video / document with second build.

Right now

Comment

Working...
        X