Shopping for a new printer...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shopping for a new printer...

I've had it about up to here with my Da Vinci, and am tentatively shopping for a replacement. I'm looking for something in the $500-750USD range that should also be compatible with Simplify3d(not that that excludes many printers... awesome software).

I would sort of like a dual-head system but would probably be fine with a single(my da vinci spent so much time broken that I never got much use out of that spare extruder...). Reliability is basically my primary requirement, now. It needs to just work. I don't mind regular maintenance, but for the love of all that is good and holy I need this thing to actually function for me, consistently and efficiently.

Anyone got any suggestions?

***UPDATE***
    For those of you just tuning in, I eventually settled on a WanHao Duplicator 4S. You can read through the thread to see my decision-making process as well as pick up some information about how the Duplicator has worked out for me.

The short version is I ended up paying a bit more than my initial budget, $960 rather than $750, but the extra money got me a full-features device that is tops on reliability. The clever combination of low-tech and proven solutions fitted to a robust and over-built metal piece is filling all my criteria quite nicely.

The key difference of the 4S over the 4X is steel.
    Last edited by hunterjwizard; 11-05-2015, 11:40 PM.

Printrbot Simple with a heated bed. I absolutely love mine and I will answer any questions and explain why I bought it if you are interested. My printrbot has been a machine. The thing is built solid, and once I had it calibrated (took all of 30 minutes once it arived) you are good to go. I've run some really complex, and some really long prints on it. The thing just works.
    Last edited by Silas; 09-09-2015, 12:04 AM.

Comment

I've actually had a lot of experience with a printrbot junior. Didn't own one but used one very extensively. Initially I had a very poor user experience, but in hindsight I realize this is owed ENTIRELY to the open-source software it came with being an absolute piece of garbage. When the software was working it printed quite well. Granted, this was also maybe 2~ years ago, things immprove, and I now own simplify.

One thing I do remember, though - the junior we sued was basically 100% PC-controlled, all it's "guts" did was recieve commands from the computer, as in we could watch lines of G-code being delivered to the device as it printed. I felt this made it unreliable, as about 90% of our problems with the machine centered around making it talk to the computer and vice-versa.

This was a Jr. though, maybe the PrintrBot senior is a bit better? Not sure, worth a look, though. How big is the print surface in inches? It would be nice to find something the same size as my current beast.

Comment

I'll link you this. Printrbot have certainly improved. I bought a printr from printrbot 2-3 years ago, and had a ton of issues as well. I semi recently (5 months) purchased their new all metal Simple though, and have been super impressed with how solid and reliable it is. Here's there website and a nice thing they have. http://printrbot.com/compare-printers/

Comment

The all-metal simple is what we had, though back then it was called the "junior". But, again, the problems we experienced were mainly software related, and I have better software now. I guess that's on my short-list.

So does it still require the software for direct control, or is it now able to load an instruction set locally and work independently? I'm not sure which is better, just saying that communication tended to be the problem before.

Comment

Originally posted by hunterjwizard View Post
            I've had it about up to here with my Da Vinci, and am tentatively shopping for a replacement. I'm looking for something in the $500-750USD range that should also be compatible with Simplify3d(not that that excludes many printers... awesome software).

I would sort of like a dual-head system but would probably be fine with a single(my da vinci spent so much time broken that I never got much use out of that spare extruder...). Reliability is basically my primary requirement, now. It needs to just work. I don't mind regular maintenance, but for the love of all that is good and holy I need this thing to actually function for me, consistently and efficiently.

Anyone got any suggestions?
            Best printer for the money is a Printrbot Simple Metal, its not fast but you can get some good prints out of one... (PS I still have my Da Vinci and I feel your pain) And I love Simplify3D there default profile for the Printrbot is very good...

You can also get the new Printrbot Plus with dual heads for a little more money, personally I would do that... (I set up a friends one and its better than a standard printrbot but I did take it apart and re assemble it for him so its more squared up) Duel extruder's are still hard work, but I would imagine like me after using a Da Vinci everything else is simple : -)

Print Quality Example with 0.2mm Layer Height
            Click image for larger version

Name:	#3DBENCHY-1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	21345

Comment

That's two votes for the Printrbot... 3 if you count my own. Dang, after how much heartache that thing caused me it's tough to imagine it'd be less work than the da-vinci.

There are two problems I forsee with the printrbot, though. One is that as I recal we had to macyver a top-loading feeder since the "let a spool sit next to it" system didn't work terribly well. The other is it's open nature, I have cats and occasionally small children visiting my house. And while they were completely disinterested in the da vinci I worry that the open housing on the printr might elicit some increased interest.

Of course these problems both have a simple solution: build a box other the thing. I could make one double as a feeder assembly AND child-proofing!

I'm going to keep shopping for a bit. I have a support call scheduled with da vinci's reps tonight and I think I may have narrowed the issue back down to calibration(...again). But for the time being that printrbot is looking like a winner.

Comment

With a Table saw, some 1/8 acryllic, and a 3d printer with a kilogram of ABS, you could make a pretty sweet box/spool holder for your Printrbot simple. I just started my fall semester back up, but if you decide to go with printrbot, I'll gladly send you the design files I have made up for myself when I get the time to make it (and this semsester is gonna be hella work, so probably middle of winter XD)

Comment

I'll vouch for MakerFarm, and Colin over there. You simply won't find better customer support, even though I didn't need it once my unit was assembled. His instructions are actually youtube videos. 10"X10"X10" is hard to find in your price range, but the Prusa 10 iV3 can't be beat. If nothing else, search for customer feedback, and send Colin an e-mail.

Comment

My 5.9" x 7.8" x 7.8" build size, so 10x10x10 isn't a requirement, though would be nice.

I like what I see of the MakerFarm, but am unwilling to assemble the thing myself. I know some people got into 3D printing because its a fun DIY project, but for me this is all about the end result. I bought the printer to make art and toys and stuff, not to assemble and tinker with.

Just looking over the makerfarm website, I like all the customization capabilities he offers. Its not the right product for me, but I think a lot of other people would love it. If I meet anyone looking for a DIY job I will definitely send them that direction.

Comment

I've got a lovely collection of woodworking tools in my garage, so putting together a nice acrylic cabinet/filament stand for a printrbot would be a snap.

I'm giving the Da Vinci one more chance, though. Honestly if I just had the space I might buy a second printer just to work faster :P

Comment

Originally posted by hunterjwizard View Post
                        My 5.9" x 7.8" x 7.8" build size, so 10x10x10 isn't a requirement, though would be nice.

I like what I see of the MakerFarm, but am unwilling to assemble the thing myself. I know some people got into 3D printing because its a fun DIY project, but for me this is all about the end result. I bought the printer to make art and toys and stuff, not to assemble and tinker with.

Just looking over the makerfarm website, I like all the customization capabilities he offers. Its not the right product for me, but I think a lot of other people would love it. If I meet anyone looking for a DIY job I will definitely send them that direction.
                        I wanted a DIY printer, even though I really didnt have the time to assemble it. I wanted DIY so I am familiar with the product when it comes time to repair/mod it. No repairs needed, but I know a few items I want to mod, and, because I put it together, I feel more comfortable doing mods.
                        Let us know what you end up with.

Comment

See I totally get where you are coming from with that, but at the same time, the things just aren't that complicated. You've got a brain, an extruder, and 3 axis. Some also add a heated bed. While they are certainly fascinating, a basic understanding of the design is enough for me to "know" what can go wrong if I need to repair or mod the unit.

Of course, there's also always a great deal of pride to be gained by putting something - anything - together. Personally, I've just done it enough times to know that I suck at it :P

Comment

I think the Bibo 3D printers are deserved to be attented by 3D printing lovers.
                            Almost people has ads, butif there is no ads, people can't know the new product quickly and people don't have more choices to pick up the best
                            3D printer. I'd love to introduce our printer without hesitation.
                            Our 3D printer is equipped with (1)touch screen, (2)wifi, (3)bluetooth, (4)webcam and
                            (5)if the power breaks off during printing, it can continue printing from off place
                            after restarting for your optional

1. Printing flexible material.
                            2. With CE, FCC, RoHS certified.
                            3. Giving the desired 3D printing status report to your smartphone or tablet.
                            4. More than 10 languages can be chosen on our big LCD screen and software.
                            5. Glass heated bed can be taken off, easier to remove the printed object.
                            6. Automatic control cooling fan for nozzle, no need to buy another fan to cool nozzle
                            with manual control when printing some filament such as PLA.
                            7. Providing DIY Kits with more economic cost and freight.
                            8. Can do OEM and ODM with your brand logo on the machine's appreance and
                            LCD screen operation interface.

Hunter, you can contact me:sc@ourbibo.com. There is our website: www.ourbibo.com

Comment

Sammi, thank you for the link and the intro, I am definitely intrigued. I see a lot of really neat features and options.

If you don't mind a little constructive criticism: get a native-English speaker to copy-edit your website for you. The site is clean and easy to navigate, but the language on it makes it look a little iffy. I do not mean to offend, but there's a certain stereotype regarding poorly made Asian products that are usually advertised with barely legible English. Your printer, meanwhile, looks really rock-solid and I hate the idea if it being lumped in with poor-quality goods just because of phrasing.

Other than that, I did not easily find prices on the site. As I said, the printer looks solid and I like the feature set, but price point is a matter of consideration.

Comment

I have not used it, but I've done some research on it and the Duplicator 3 looks like a solid option. The price certainly seems right!

Comment

Hi Hunter, good day, so glad that you visited our website. Thanks so much for your suggestion about our website. Yes, we should modify the content of our website.
                                  Hunter, because our price is confidential for our competitors, can you give me your email? I can send the quotation to you. You also can contact me by email:sc@ourbibo.com. I am looking forward to cooperating with you. Have a good day for you.

Comment

Hi Sammi,

After tooling around a bit more it looks like you folks don't sell direct through the site. I did find your printers for sale on Amazon, though. The prices are good and they are definitely in the running.

@dbregman - I can't seem to find this Duplicator brand, do they have a website?

Comment

http://wanhaousa.com/collections/3d-printers

Comment

Like what I see on these ones. They, too, are now in the running.

Sadly, with the replacement extruder the da-vinci may have gotten itself a second chance. I'd never buy another one, but it's been printing now and yesterday finished an 8 hour run.

Comment

Cool. I think I am going to get the Beast that is just ending its Kickstarter campaign. More expensive, but killer looking.

Comment

I'd be leery about buying anything that new and untested. Reliability is a big thing and that makes me skeptical about anything that "just finished its kickstarter campaign". That's why I liked the Duplicator so much, they're already on the Duplicator 4, clearly they learned a thing or two on 1-3.

Comment

Well the Da Vinci has officially lost.

I bought 3 new cartridges for it. 2 of them failed. The third one looks promising, but we'll see. So yeah, **** this thing. I will be looking back over the thread and making my decision soon. Probably going to visit the forums and communities around some of these other printers and see what the users say. Printrbot fans, I'm sorry, but I am leaning towards a more feature-rich printer. I definitely agree that its a good device, but I'd like something in an enclosure with a few more bells and whistles.

Comment

Does anyone know off hand of the Dremel Idea Builder is actually manufactured by Dremel, or if they are just rebranding someone else's product?

Comment

I heard it was co-designed by Autodesk.

Comment

Collapse

To post a reply to this thread you must be a member. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Please join our community today!
                                                  Working...
                                                  X