Clear All

What is causing ghastly surface finish?

This little project
    Click image for larger version

Name:	200115-0.5kgReelSupport-537x640.png
Views:	43
Size:	524.8 KB
ID:	124757
    printed just fine except for the horrible finish on the flat circular surface.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	200115-0.5kgReelSupportDetail-478x640.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	124758
    What would cause this gruesome finish and how do I fix it?
    Thanks

I may be wrong by my first thought would be over extrusion since its only on your top layers. Does this happen consistently on any print?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyBoxP View Post
      I may be wrong by my first thought would be over extrusion since its only on your top layers. Does this happen consistently on any print?
      Yes it does. I dropped the extrusion temperature a bit and that has improved things but I still get top layers that are anything but smooth.

Comment

I had a play round with some settings and the situation is vastly improved.
        There is some feathering at the end of the extrusion run still, but things are better. I increased the Coasting time (Raise3D Pro2) and reduced the extrusion temperatures.

You can download the relevant files here - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvZ9amwal2YXj4Q0...AjwaQ?e=b8t8vz

Comment

I use repetier-host to print and there is an option to adjust flow rate for extrusion. I would try reducing the flow rate (default is 100%) and see how it compares. Your firmware may be set to higher extrusion than needed.

Comment

Thanks computersavvy, I'll give that a go.

Comment

Originally posted by computersavvy View Post
              Your firmware may be set to higher extrusion than needed.
              Sure was! It was defaulted to 120%. Progressive reductions saw me getting this sort of (top) finish at 95%

I can live with that, but I still have a problem in that the Bottom Side ( which was printed on Support) shows signs of the battl;e to remove ot from that support

What do I need to adjust to make the item come away from the platform or support without that much of a fight?

Here is a copy of the settings you can download.

Comment

Working...
              X