Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polyster resin - to strengthen PLA - is that possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polyster resin - to strengthen PLA - is that possible?

Hi,

I have a printed part that is hollow - its 100mmx100mmx150mm and is hollow. I'd like to fill up the space and I have some polyester resin - can I use this to pour into the part - will that strengthen it or will it just do nothing other than damage the part - its in PLA too so Im not sure if there will be some kind of chemical reaction that may cause it to warm up/distort or even melt. Any ideas?

Thanks

Carl

Originally posted by Carlh2018
    Hi,

I have a printed part that is hollow - its 100mmx100mmx150mm and is hollow. I'd like to fill up the space and I have some polyester resin - can I use this to pour into the part - will that strengthen it or will it just do nothing other than damage the part - its in PLA too so Im not sure if there will be some kind of chemical reaction that may cause it to warm up/distort or even melt. Any ideas?

Thanks

Carl
    Iím new here but have spent my life working in the prop making industry so have a pretty good knowledge of materials. I have worked on projects where we backfilled printed items with resin but always used a polyurethane resin. Polyester resin is great for fibre reinforced applications but never worked well for casting. Problems of heat - exotherm - and distortion/ shrinkage made it a no go most of my working life. PU was always the best product for solid casting. Very fast curing times and minimal distortion and shrinkage.

Comment

Collapse

To post a reply to this thread you must be a member. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Please join our community today!
    Working...
    X