Terraforming Mars and colonizing Jupiters moons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terraforming Mars and colonizing Jupiters moons

Everyone knows the ultimate goal of 3D printing is fully autonomous self-replication, but I wonder if everyone starts tinkering we can reach there more quickly. I don't know much about 3D printers, but if we have more people tinkering with 3D printers
    do you think we might reach this goal more quickly?

I don't know much about 3D printers, but I know that:
    * Rep-rap can self-replicate, but it uses plastic not cement or mud so you can't use it to build houses, it requires human beings to manually connect all of its parts together, and you need to connect chips and electricity for it to work.
    * The solar sinter can't self-replicate, but it uses sand and the sun's natural rays to create things (very roughly). It requires solar panels, circuits, and lots of human power or it to work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptUj8JRAYu8&t=249s
    * The Chinese have built houses using cement and mud printers

Exponential growth from fully autonomous self-replication is insane: if each 3D printer builds another 3D printer it can reach 1 trillion in only 40 generations. 1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1k 2k 4k 8k... 2 to the 40 = 1 trillion

Have people been tinkering with mechanisms of automatically connecting the rep-rap legos via a printable hand or drones to reach exponential growth?
    Why is the print-head of 3D printers "on-rails", if the print-head itself could move and climb rike a roach could build large structures without having to build the larger structures out of legos. Any people tinkering with these?
    For the electronics there are many trade-off solutions and tinkering paths:
    * Building analog computers using gears printed by the 3D printer for the 3D printer to figure out how to print itself and print other things. Glass/Ice printers can use the energy of the sun to power the gear mechanism via heat engines, or the drones winding up the gears.
    * Have a drone or something else collect chips from a chip dispenser and connect the chips into 3D printers; it'll also need to collect solar panels
    * Having several rep-raps be controlled by a single computer, perhaps maybe 1 million 3D printers per computer. The 3D printer only needs to print a sound or radio/light receiver. The sound receiver can be printed out of plastic as its just a trumpet with moving parts,
    but the radio/light receiver might need the 3D printer to use several forms of ink.

My idea of terraforming Mars is pretty simple, to build a self-replicating ice printer that prints out icy lenses to melt the ice and self-replicate, and while its self-replicating it melts CO2 to terraform mars.
    The heat will eventually cause a CO2 chain-reaction that will increase the size of the atmosphere while heating up Mars. Sand printers could possibly also work.

Collapse

To post a reply to this thread you must be a member. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Please join our community today!
Working...
X