Lead screw v toothed belt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lead screw v toothed belt?

What are the opinions of using lead screws instead of toothed belts?

I would think that you would want the belts to protect your steppers against binds. If you use the screw and your moving part binds, it will continue to step possibly snapping parts or burning out your steeper. But with a belt, it gives during binds and worse case is you only need to replace the belt. With that being said, I would love to have screw drives instead of belt driven just for the precision and smooth movement.

Comment

I have played with the Lead-Screw concept on my laser cutters & it works a treat, minimizes parts & is very accurate.
      Note there is a lot of inertia in the lead screw, compared to a belt & pulley, so it is good to have a decent acceleration/deceleration curve, as opposed to dead stop or GO.
      I also doubled up on my stepper drivers to give more power to the motor.

Additionally, you will need to experiment with spring anti-backlash tensions to allow accuracy, but not encourage binding.
      I also found that using graphite powder as a dry lubricant was far better than oils or greases, as any wet lubricants attract debris that can potentially bind the mechanism, where as dry powder does not.
      I was originally using graphite powder to lube the dry-lin bearings I tried & fitted to all my machines with excellent results.

Comment

Two interesting views, I hadn't seen any information on binding however it is certainly something to consider, thank you GrantB for your information, I'm contemplating changing the belts to lead screws on my 3D printer, mainly because I think it would be easier to work with than belts, i also think, from what I've read, there is less vibration form a lead screw compared to a belt feeding around pulleys?
        I think it's at least worth experimenting to see if it is viable.

Comment

Update.... Graphite powder on Lead screws is excellent... because it is a DRY lubricant, it does not attract fluff & scragg ends of filament etc, a tinsy pinch of powder & run the screw over it in each direction is good for MONTHS of hard everyday use. No more oil based lubricants in my machines... the Graphite also works like a charm in flushed out & dried Normal Linear Bearings once the oils are flushed out & dried.

Comment

Collapse

To post a reply to this thread you must be a member. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Please join our community today!
          Working...
          X