Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amplifier/expansion board to plug & play, allowing multiple motors from 1 source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amplifier/expansion board to plug & play, allowing multiple motors from 1 source

I'm doing some tinkering & want to run several Neema17 standard Stepper Motors in parallel from the same power feed source.
    I'm guessing I need a board I can apply some volts to, that takes it's sensing from the original Mother-Board Motor-Outputs & has some sort of parallel output.

I managed successfully to parallel 2 motors from a standard stepper driver/mother board with plenty of cooling to the tiny heat sink, but it does get quite warm even so.....(not killed it yet)

Does any one have an idea of what the right items are called or even a link for the correct goodies ?

I'd take the 5V logic level step and direction signals before the stepper drivers and use buffering chips (opto-isolators should do if you get ones that will handle the required frequency), that way you can have clean signals to as many extra stepper drivers as you like without any affect on the source signal,

- Nick

Comment

That sounds excellent....
      But unfortunately I dont have the skills to draw up that circuit

Comment

Grant, Opto-Isolator chips need only +ve & -ve (possibly with a decoupling cap across + & - ) and the rest is just the 5v inputs and outputs, there's not really a circuit to draw, have a look at some chips and their data sheets and I'm sure you'll find you are up to the challenge. It's worth getting a bit of Breadboard for testing and prototyping before soldering something up on Veroboard

Comment

Many thanks indeed, will have a dig.
          I'm hoping that there may be a circuit for a different application that is ready made & will suit my needs.
          I'm familiar with Opto-Couplers & dumping electrical noise with caps, but my knowledge stops at hooking up to FETS / processors etc to power Stepper motors. I'm lost after that.

Comment

Another possible thought is to use an opto-isolated break out board (intended for CNC builds) to buffer your signals

Comment

Don't try to replicate drivers, just replicate the signals and use off the shelf stepper drivers ;-)

Comment

Many thanks Nick,

I will have a dig on the net after work.

Comment

Did some digging and :0 my idea, someone has already fort of it, so yes it works. https://www.vicious1.com/forum/topic...epper-drivers/

Comment

Working...
                  X