Photo rig for 123D Catch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo rig for 123D Catch

Decided to play around with 123D Catch tonight to see if it would work with normal turntable scanning. As I presumed going in it does not. So on to plan B...

I've embarked on an "orbital" scanning platform. The center remains stationary while the smartphone orbits the platform a few times at different angles.

Started printing the platform itself so far. I put in 6 reference marks at the edges and then used a concentric fill pattern so there are plenty of reference markers in the images for processing. I gotta say it looks pretty good as well so far...

Stay tuned. I'll post more details, pictures, and files as the project progresses :-)

Platform turned out ok...

If this isn't enough unique points of reference I have no idea what would be:

Had the filament break on me when I wasn't looking which caused an unholy gawd awful mess on the bottom but it's still secure enough to move on without it affecting performance:

Tomorrow we move on to the base...

Comment

As you figured out, with photogrammetry you have to make sure that you don't change anything about the scene. That's why the turntable doesn't work. Your background stays the same, but your object changes. Cool project. Look forward to your testing updates.

Comment

Just one piece left until I can see if this works or not...

Comment

If anyone is interested I have the "nozzle cam" streaming right now for the hinge print. Should be going for another 2.5-3 hours.

https://youtu.be/v46BfbBoxCg

Comment

Nice! Let us know how the testing goes.

Comment

Well... my hinge pieces were total fail due to tolerance issues but it was just a test with no existing real life data to work with so it's ok.

I did get to kind of try it out though and I must say that the concept is sound. It captured at least half of a VERY detailed geode rock very well. However because everything was fubar on the rig itself things were "off" enough that only one side processed. It may have a good deal to do with the sensor in my phone as well though... this thing has been dropped and beat up so much it's not even funny anymore.

I plan to get back to this again as soon as I can but I've taken in so many orders for printed parts in the last few days I.probably won't have any personal printer time for another week or so :-(

Will post more when I can...

Comment

Working...
              X