print all the things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

print all the things

we have had our printer for about a week.
    I have used a couple rolls of filament so far.
    How many different colors do most people keep in stock. I just thought I would print until it runs out, then buy another color.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	print-all-the-thingss.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	22934

funny thing though - all the parts I have printed recently glow. I painted over some of them,

Name:	glowing.jpg
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	22935

I like printing in black, white, and navy blue, but somehow ended up with lots of orange. Nice looking prints!

Comment

Nice glow in the dark prints. Currently I am using Grey, even though it is called silver. I have spare rolls in Pink and Purple for the wife. I tend to use and entire roll before moving on and dont care what color I am printing with. Although printing a red and a grey Millennium Falcon the GREY looks so much sweeter. So I gave the red one away. I have only printed 2 items using different colors for different components. A holder for the kitchen scrubby things, red for the bowl and blue for the grate (2 pieces), and a 'crystal' ornament glued together half red and half blue (was using up both colors and it looks good). Sorry I have no pictures for these items right now.

Once I get down to one roll I will probably order more and am currently looking for a supplier, weighing cost vs quality.

Comment

It is always a good idea to have spares around. I am always looking for a good deal, and if I see one, I will give it a go, if it turns out to not be such a good deal, I move on to the next. So far I have had really good luck with HH3DPlastics.com. Free ship in the USA and they are fast and reasonably priced.

Comment

Thanks guys,

I got some new filaments for Christmas I'm excited to try them out.
          Hatchbox wood filament, and black ninjaflex, and some white PLA.

Keep ya posted.

Comment

Please do...I like having options.

Comment

I have printed several things with the Hatchbox PLA wood filament. I printed a wooden pocketknife and a little box, and a long bracket. I think this filament is much more brittle so not good for springy parts. There were some snap together pieces that broke when stressed.

Also where normal PLA wouldn't have any trouble with stringing this wood filament would bunch up or just fall apart. I am still tweaking my settings, but I sanded and stained this little box, have a look.Click image for larger version

Name:	woodboz.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	21514

Comment

figured it out
                Attached Files
                Last edited by trimfandango; 01-01-2016, 09:27 PM. Reason: figured it out

Comment

What did you figure out?

Comment

I love the look of the wood filaments, but haven't had a chance to try them yet. That box looks cool stained! Is that latest picture your white PLA?

Comment

Well, I thought I figured it out.

Yikes, the white PLA I just got has been the most troubling filament I have used so far. There doesn't seem to be a setting that works as smoothly as the last PLA I had. I have printed large things, and small things, low temp, med temp, and high temp, It comes out smooth sometimes, but usually leaves gaps at random intervals or just globs up when it should be printing a line. I will continue to level, and test, but I think it's just a bad batch.

Comment

The wood filament is really fun, I printed a little locking pocket knife my son and I assembled.
                        The stain didn't go on as nicely as it would absorb into a real block of wood, but with some sanding it did give a nice effect.
                        I gave it as a gift to someone and they really liked it.

Comment

Name:	wood-box.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	21524Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8023.jpg
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	21525 a couple more photos of the box

Comment

Not all PLAs are created equal. I got some particularly bad filament (white too) that gave me nothing but trouble. I just never bought from that supplier again.

Comment

Those last pics are really nice. Definitely going to try wood filament soon. What brand did you use?

On the white filament, I agree with Keith. Certain brands have lower quality control and you will have issues from time to time. That said, if you have been printing wood filament and are now using standard PLA in the same nozzle, it is possible you need to clean out your extruder. I have read that wood filament can degrade and start clogging your nozzle if it stays heated and stationary in the extruder for too long.

Comment

Thanks Andrew I read that it might be the particles from the wood filament. I have yet to disassemble my extruder. I am afraid of damaging it. Is there a thread on this board that goes over how to clean the nozzle and such? This is what mine looks like.

Name:	extruder.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	21526

Comment

I have has some minor success just slowing way down. and lowering the temp but the finish isn't as pretty as other filaments I have ordered. I am going to try a new brand next time.

Comment

Sometimes simple clogs can be fixed by using a small piece of wire or drill bit to clear out particles. I got this nice little set of bits for use at work. There are other cheaper options, but having something like this will save you a lot of time. Just poke the correct size bit up into your nozzle a few times while at temp, remove the bit or wire, and then extrude some filament. Doing this a couple of times can help a lot.

If that doesn't fix it, you might need to remove your nozzle for a more thorough cleaning. Not sure how it works for your printer, but most of the time you can use two sets of pliers to remove the nozzle while at printing temp. Use one pair of pliers to hold the heater block in place. You definitely don't want it to twist and damage any wiring. Use the second pair of pliers to unscrew the nozzle.

If you google your printer model, there should be an official nozzle removal procedure with all the specific steps you should follow.

Comment

Great suggestions Andrew, thanks! Glad the forums are back online.

Comment

You're welcome! Hopefully they will help. Thought the forum was completely gone when I saw the "domain expired" notice, but it's back so we're good to go.

Comment

I got a set of 4 - 4mm nozzle drills off of ebay... I still have 3 of them and I don't think they were too expensive either.

Comment

I ordered a nozzle cleaning set, how often do you replace your nozzle, or extruder? I know at the makerspace I am a member, the makerbot goes down about once a week. usually to unclog or replace the smart extruder. I got some new filament today, it is printing so much nicer than the white pla that was giving me a hard time. Feels good to be able to trust my new printer again!

Name:	IMG_3199.JPG
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	21541

Comment

I only replace the nozzle when cleaning it out no longer restores proper extrusion. This will be sooner when using filled filaments, especially metal filled. It's good to have several extra on hand for troubleshooting anyway.

Comment

I agree with Andrew. It also depends on how many spools of what kind you run through it.

Comment

Working...
                                                X