Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Designing/Modeling Snap Fastener Buttons! Help Needed

Hi All,

I am new to this forum but not very new to 3d printing, I hope I will learn a lot from this forum.

My current project which may be too simple for you is modeling and prototyping a 3d printed snap fastener buttons (Picture attached).

So I am going to model only the stud and the socket (two pieces on the right side, No Caps!), the questions that I have and make me unsure about this project are as follows:

- Will I be able to 3d print these 2 pieces and have good fitment? ( My concern is that the edges may not come out clean using 3d printing so it might make it difficult to put on and take off the socket)

-Does the material have to be hard? What material do you suggest for this? Obviously it can't be too soft because it will make it harder to push the socket on the stud. I was thinking ABS is a good fit for this, what do you think? This will be used daily so I want something that won't wear off by putting on and taking off the socket.

-In general, could you please tell me the factors that play an important role in designing and 3d printing this 2 pieces and having good fitment?

The stud will be attached to another flat 3d printed surface (The stud is integrated in the flat surface) and the socket will be printed separately to just snap on the stud.

I'd really appreciate your input.

I don't think that this will work at all. Since it is plastic after few snaps it will wear off and wont stick together. As much as I did "snappy" things with 3D printer it always was one time use.

Comment

Originally posted by likimokalvis View Post
      I don't think that this will work at all. Since it is plastic after few snaps it will wear off and wont stick together. As much as I did "snappy" things with 3D printer it always was one time use.
      Have you tried making snap-together things with colored nylon or polycarbonate? -- I bet it would hold up nicely for something like clothing.

Comment

Working...
      X