Look Mom No slide rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look Mom No slide rods

When I decided to build my own printer, one thing I wanted was to avoid the polished rods and sliding bushings most printers are made with. They flex and can pass vibrations to the print head. This design uses two ball bearings on each rubber tired wheel. I can stand on the frame and it can be used for light CNC work.

I Would post more photo's but this site is anti-photo. How do you post a decent sized picture here?

Comment

Sounds interesting. You should be able to just add pictures as an attachement to the post and then we can click to view full size.

Comment

Comment

Comment

The frame is V-Slot aluminum. You need to buy 5 pieces and you can make any size printer you want. Mine is easily expandable.

Comment

Very impressive, & looks sturdy & slop free too... so simple, & clever too.
              How does it perform when you run it up to.. say.. 80mms+ ? I'm guessing it is rock solid..?

You could market this machine...

Comment

Grant,

This frame is available through a company called "Open Builds". My frame is based on several models from Open Builds. The controller, extruder, heated bed and hot end were selections I made after deciding on the frame and linear movement methods. As to how fast it will print, I am still learning. There is quite a lot of inertia in the X and Y axis. But the movements are rock solid. I am using an aluminum printing surface, over an aluminum heating plate. They are insulated from the aluminum build plate and carriage. I use a proximity sensor to level the bed automatically.
                I think a lot of Open Builds............Take a look.

http://www.openbuilds.com/

This machine has a double carriage and two screws on the Z axis. I explored a single stepper with a belt for the Z axis and found the double motor and screw a very inexpensive alternative to a belt.

My biggest problems so far have been getting everything to stick to a metal bed, and being able to repair STL files I have built. I designed a lamp and cannot get it to print correctly.

Comment

Oh, something else about that frame. The carriage plates can be purchased or made, but the purchased plates come pre-drilled to accept the rubber tired wheels, and one side has an eccentric to tighten the wheels into the slot. Very clever design

Comment

Looks good! Have you thought about glass on top of the metal? What software are you using for design?

Comment

Right now I am using Sketchup and CURA. I have never used a glass bed. What will it provide that a metal bed cannot?

Comment

Bumped for Appelkeith

Comment

The hotend I am using is the Prometheus all metal. I have never had it jamb. I just recently signed up for the Prometheus Kick Starter duel color single tip hot end. I should have it in December.

Comment

Here is the Kick Starter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...token=7d9207f0

The funding goal was about $7,000 and in ten days they have received almost $60,000.

Comment

Working...
                            X