new need help choosing printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new need help choosing printer

hello forum my name is mitchell and this is my first post here. a little about me, i started my own business making metal signs, knives and hatchets, with a cnc plasma cutter and a cnc milling machine. if you want to see some of my work its at http://www.mitchelldesignandfabrication.com so i would like a 3d printer to print out a smaller scale physical example of my work before i do it in steel. and another thing i want it for is to make prototypes of some things I'm trying to make out if steel on my milling machine. so with that being said i now need to find a printer and software. now i don't know too much about 3d printing programs i don't know if some printers only work with special programs and others are open source? so i would be looking for a 3d printing program i could put my 3d solid works files in. if that is out their. and now for the printer i am looking to spend around 700$ to 1000$ and i would like one that can print stuff relativly large. one i was looking at was the robo 3d printer its at http://www.robo3d.com does anybody know if this is a good printer and can it print fine detail. or if somebody has another printer in mind they thing would work for me that would be much appreciated. i know i wrote a lot but my basic questions are. what software do i need ( if you could recommend a good one that would help ) ( and if i can import my stuff from solid works ) and if the printer i was looking at is good and not buggy ( not something I'm going to be spending all my time calibrating rather then printing ) and if anybody has other printers they like in that price range. thank you

Stay away from the robo then !!! I have spent hrs and days working on this dam thing. I would recommend the zortrax m200 closed source so every thing is set right from the factory. No guess or calibrating. Bed has a electronic calibration system witch makes it nice and easy and the prints are out of this world!! Price is $2,000 Tho. But ya do yourself a favor if your new at 3d printing don't buy the robo.

Comment

I have a flashforge also. That's in the 1100 to 1200 range very good printers.

Comment

Ark usually inserts a link to a really good comparison page right about now.

Since you do metal work, want to make it yourself? I've built several made mostly of metal. The first one is usually a handful. But the price point of 500 ish and the ability to choose what features your printer will focus on and print size of your choice is awesome.

Comment

For your build price and wanting a large build platform... I'd say a Prusa i3 pre assembled. Also you will have ZERO problems getting your solidworks files onto your 3d printing software. I also design everything I 3d print in solidworks, and once I have the part drawn up it takes <2 minutes to get it to the 3d printer.

Comment

ill definetly consider that. i have a friend who built his own and it works pretty darn good. the only problem is i would have no idea were to start. so i guess i would make the frame and the other parts from metal my self. and i would still need to buy the electronic parts for the printer. is there a website that sells the parts i can't make?

Comment

thanks for replying. i just don't have the money for the zortrax but the flashforge looks like something id be interested in. so does it print good, and is it easy to calibrate, and are their any problems you have found with it.

Comment

@gabe Thanks for the mention.

@mitchell Welcome to the forums! I am a lot more old school when it comes to metal work (forge and hammer), but I wish I had a plasma cutter for sure. The site Gabe mentioned is www.productchart.com and go to 3D printers. Its by no means all inclusive but it had some less heard of printers on there. 100 microns (0.1mm) layer height (read as resolution) is the standard though most of us print at 0.2mm or 0.3mm to save time if its not absolutely necessary (like on prototypes). For $700 you can pick from a lot of good printers, $1000 will get you even farther.

My preference may have been noted on the forums already for Solidoodle as I have a 2nd gen that I love. Their new version of the 2 is the Workbench. Its right in your price range. Metal frame and all the features that should come standard. Its open enough that if you wanted to expand and mod it you can, but finished enough that it should run long after initial calibrations are complete. I have abused my poor Solidoodle 2 by not cleaning, calibrating, and greasing it properly. Its become almost in an attempt to see just how much it'll take. I would like to upgrade the head but I have no reason yet, I'd like to buy grease for the rods and bearings but I have not found excess friction yet, and I want to replace all the parts with the backups I've 3D printed but they won't break. The Workbench is a very updated and better featured version of my 2 Pro. That being said, don't bother with the Press or Solidoodle 4.

I'd love to talk metal work with you by the way. Haven't met a plasma cutter that doesn't find blacksmithing fascinating yet.

Comment

I went to a 3D world printer conference in Feb and learned that grease is bad, in fact they said printers shouldn't need any lubricating. They stayted that if you feel like anything needs to be done use machine oil.
                  That was news to me because i greased it once a month with white lithium grease

BTW, Matter Control is free and works awesome!

Comment

The flashforge is a great printer I have the dreamer but the creator pro is more of a open source. It does great prints but found very small I'm talk small it doesn't do a great job. Like a part that's like a 1/4 in. So yes good printer. The customer support from the guy who takes care of all Amazon buyers is the best. Need something or a replacement he sends it out!! I have had it 8 months and only one part Broke the limit switch.

Comment

But the robo is a fun little printer do some upgrades and it actually prints really nice.

Comment

thank you for the info

Comment

Working...
                        X