Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning work flow to make a print - No plastic extrudes for some parts

Good evening,
    I'm new to 3d printing and need some advice.

I've purchased a Powerspec 3D pro. The test objects provided with the printer print.
    My first home made object prints. The second and third objects I created extrude no plastic.

I'm using Inland brand white PLA (1.75mm measured with a cheap micrometer)

The second part, a set of steps for a miniature scenery project, was designed in 3d studio max.
    I extruded and mesh edited a box to ensure it was closed and the faces were oriented correctly.
    I exported to stl. The gcode generator complained that it was 'crossing itself'. I loaded it into
    Netfabb basic and it said it was fine. I still got warnings so I tried repairing it in Netfabb cloud.
    The stl was half size but I got no warnings.

I'm using "ReplicatorG - Sailfish - 0040r24".
    There's no discernable way to see the version other than what's in the top of the application window's bar.
    The manufacturer provided the app and said the settings should be:
    machine type: Replicator Dual
    Gcode generator: Skeinforge (50)

For the gcode generation it suggested "Replicator 2 slicing defaults",
    Default start and end gcode, and "Print-O-Matic".

Layer height: 0.27mm
    Feedrate: 100 (recommended for pla)
    Travel Feedrate: 55
    Print temperator: 205 (The inland box specifies 190-240)

Click image for larger version

Name:	gate2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	22475

I've attached the log of the build and the stl. I can't seem to get the forum to let me attach the gcode though.

log.txt
    ToriiGate2_fixed.STL

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jay

If no one can help you by tomorrow I'll try to get on my comp when I get home.

Comment

I dropped by this site: http://gcode.ws/
      and "viewed" the gcode. It lets you view the build step by step.
      It's outling the part before doing any fill.
      I assumed that since it wasn't depositing any material that it was broken and cancelled the print.

The only thing that seems odd is the outlining and the recommended print speed.

Comment

What's the recommended speed? And depending on the slicer you may be able to change the order on how it prints. I know in a couple you can make it print from center to exterior.

Comment

Originally posted by ARKtest View Post
          What's the recommended speed? And depending on the slicer you may be able to change the order on how it prints. I know in a couple you can make it print from center to exterior.
          "G. Feedrate is the speed at which the filament is fed into the extruder. This usually set between 30 and 70. For ABS printing,
          60 is recommended; for PLA printing, 100 is recommended.
          H. Travel feedrate is the speed at which the printer head moves over the base, it’s usually set between 30 and 100. For ABS
          printing, 80 is recommended; for PLA printing, 120 is recommended."

I tried slowing the travel feed rate but that seems to make no difference. I saw some references to high travel rates requiring
          higher temperatures to keep the plastic flowing smoothly. I may try that too.

It uses Skeinforge. There's probably a setting for how it slices somewhere in the thousands of options...

When you model things do you create multiple abutting (or intersecting) shapes or create the shape using mesh editing tools?

Comment

I think I've figured it out. I assumed that the head needed to be leveled about 0.1mm above the platform. That being the height of one layer. I think it was so close to the platform that it was preventing the plastic from coming out. I releveled the bed higher and got much better results.

That explains why no settings made a difference as well.

Comment

Well glad it got fixed. Thanks for the recommended speeds too.

Comment

You have your feedrates confused. Travel feedrate is the speed used for non-printing moves. The other, standard, feedrate relates to printing speed.

Travel feedrate is not affected by material used it is a mechanical parameter dictated by the construction of your printer. 150mm/sec is a common travel feedrate value.

The printing feedrate depends on hotend temperature and material flowrate. You also have a degree of print quality control through the printing feedrate. Typical values for printing feedrate are between 20mm/sec and 80mm/sec (of course there are always exceptions to this for special cases).

In almost all circumstances your travel feedrate will be faster than your printing feedrate.

Comment

I believe I understand correctly now. I'm not sure why it would be called "Travel FEED-rate" when nothing is being "fed". I would think it would be called "Travel Rate". I've left mine a little low on purpose. On one print the heads were oscillating so hard the part shook loose from the platform. I thought lower stress on the belts would be a good thing. It's slower but I'm patient.

Comment

Shook the part loose? Good god, that's speed.

Comment

I didn't know about hairspray at that point My wife really enjoyed making fun of me. "I never thought I'd be buying hairspray for my husband."

Comment

You should also check out the purple glue sticks. I believe I made a post about it somewhere.

So just to check up, you did in fact get your issue that this thread started for solved right?

Comment

Originally posted by ARKtest View Post
                          So just to check up, you did in fact get your issue that this thread started for solved right?
                          Yes, I did. Thanks for asking. I had the print head too close to the platform. It was blocking the flow of the plastic out of the extruder.

Comment

Great! How'd you get it to the right height? Calibrate with a business card, paper, or something?

Comment

The replacement sheets of Kapton tape I purchased come on a sheet of thin plastic backing. Unfortunately that plastic is too thin. I'm currently using those flimsy paper receipts you get from every credit card receipt printer.

I'm not sure how much thermal expansion my platform has so that may have been part of the problem. Perhaps I should have preheated it. I have to manually level the bed but it's pretty uncomfortable trying to level a hot bed.

I found a roll of 6 inch wide blue painters tape to try out when the kapton tape sheets run out. That may be a while though. I seem to have gotten the hang of it and I'm not tearing up the tape any more.

Comment

Sounds like a lot of learning and perfecting

Comment

Working...
                                X