Need help understanding what I can and can't do with SLA printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help understanding what I can and can't do with SLA printing

I recently acquired an AnyCubic Photon Mono 6K printer and have chosen the Lychee free version slicer to use with it. I'm brand new to SLA printing - have watched several videos and printed the test cube successfully, but not much else.

Most of my work focuses on parts to support my HO scale model railroading habit. I'm currently working on walls to construct a model of a brick roundhouse. I've added brick detail to the outside of the walls and an "insert" with brick on it to the top section of the wall that will show above the roof line. This requires a recess on the back side of the wall to accommodate the insert. See the first three photos to understand what I'm talking about.

It seemed best to print the wall flat on the build plate, but I needed supports on the recessed part. The slicer wants to elevate the entire wall off the plate and put a network of supports under it.

Well, I printed it today - the face of the wall came out beautiful, but it warped badly and the back side is terribly wavy and the edges are extremely uneven.

It seems like I have a couple of approaches I could follow, but I'm not sure what I get away with in the SLA world. First, I could merge the insert with the wall and print it with the back side against the build plate. Here my question is whether the resin will clear from between the mortar lines between the bricks where the insert is - considering the gap (mortar lines) is a little less than 0.5 mm? The second option would be to split the wall on the vertical plane at the recess and print it in two pieces, the the brick faces facing away from the build plate. In this case, there is the edge of the wall at about 45 degrees that is of concern. Does that need support? If so, how do I get them in there without having the support bases merging with the wall?

Thanks for the help. Sorry for the newby questions - I'm just getting my feet wet here.

Bill Lugg
Working...
X