No announcement yet.

Can't get rid of elephant foot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help: Can't get rid of elephant foot.

Hey guys!

I am fairly new to 3d printing, I recently bought a Crealty Ender 3 Pro. For the past 3 weeks, I have been trying to get rid, or at least minimalise elephant foot at the bottom of my prints, both with PLA and ABS.

Here is what I have tried so far (using Cura slicer), with a simple 2 by 2 cm cube, exported as an STL from Blender, printed on a heated glass bed, layer height 0.2mm:

1. initial layer horizontal expansion (down to -2 mm, in 0.5 increments) -> no visible change
    2. initial layer flow (down to 70%, in 10% increments) -> no change at all
    3. z axis steps/mm (all my models, regardless of height were shorter by 0.25 mm in the Z axis, X and Y were fine) -> print final height now OK, but still, elephant foot
    4. printed a single layer, to check bed leveling and layer height -> both were good, as far as I can tell, I measured the thickness with a caliper
    5. reduced bed temperature and nozzle temperature (ABS), down to the point where the corners of the cube started to curl up, and also in higher layers there were several layer separations (bed 85 C, nozzle 235 C) -> seemed like the foot got smaller, but still consideralbe
    6. print on a raft -> again, seemed like the foot got slightly smaller
    7. print using brim -> made it even worse
    8. reduce print speed (by 20mm/s overall, in 5mm/s increments) -> no change
    9. many different combinations of the above, one where all settings were used -> none seemed to solve the issue

At this point, I am completely lost, what could be the cause, and I am out of ideas.
    Does any one know what could be the problem? Any suggestion would be worth a try.

Thanks a lot
    Dan
Working...
X