Questions on Designing & Printing a Multi Colour Print

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on Designing & Printing a Multi Colour Print

I am not new to 3D printing as I have owned a printer for a couple of years now but my skills and understanding are quite limited with regards to doing multi colour prints and even designing them. My past prints have been various pieces (brackets mostly) for my model train layout and only needed to be 1 colour. I have watched a few vids online about printing in multiple colours but these seem to really only address the surface colours of the object. What I need help with for my model train layout is to make rail signals.

Due to the scale I am building (N) things need to be tiny to say the least. The buying options for rail signals in this scale are very limited and incredibly expensive to say the least. What I was thinking of doing, was designing the signal heads and printing them in black, but I would like to print the "infill" as a clear filament and use it as a sort of fiber-optic/conduiter and hide and led under the signal to illuminate it. The infill would have to be solid, and in some cases there would be more then 1 light lit up like a typical train signal so I would need separate fibre/conduits passing through the model so the light doesn't cross over from 1 to the next.

What I am hoping is someone on this forum can 1. Recommend software (Windows or Linux) to use to design. I USED to use Sketchup (on the web) but they seem to have updated it and it no longer maintains the scale when downloading the STLs, plus I find it VERY buggy and 2. Point me to the holy grain of How-to's on how to design/slice these. Just about every video I have watched on Youtube doesn't cover what I am trying to do and only really addresses the outer shell colours. I'd also be in the market for a printer upgrade but googling reviews on printers these days is like googling which dash cam is the best one, there are just way too many on the market to even begin to keep track of.

Thanks in advance.
Working...
X