Out-of-box issue with DIY-kit Printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out-of-box issue with DIY-kit Printer

I'm new to the forum and to 3D printing, and am having a bit of a rough start to my explorations.

I recently purchased my first, entry-level printer -- one of the DIY-type kits that come boxed flat and require full assembly. It is the JG Aurora/JG Maker "Magic" model (A Google search for "JGMAKER Magic 3D Printer DIY Kit" results a number of links to the exact model). I got it on a Prime Day deal for around $150, which I thought to be a pretty great deal.

I was able to get it built with relative ease. There were no major build issues, and I was actually surprised at the fact that all the parts seem to be reasonably high-quality, given the price. There were no confounding issues, where I felt that I might've done something wrong, during the build.

Upon completion of the assembly, and turning the machine on, there was an immediate issue with the unit continually returning an error upon trying to "home" the print head. I went into the controls and moved each of the 4 items individually, and here's what I discovered: Y- and Z-axes seem just fine, but the X-axis and extruder feed motor are problematic. They display (what is apparently) a common problem, where the motor clearly gets a move command of some sort, but just sort-of semi-violently shudders back and forth a bit, before giving-up.

From what I've read so far, this issue is usually attributable to some sort of bad wiring, but beyond that I don't really know where to start. My understanding of electronics is enough to get me by, but barely, and anything more advanced is something I will have to learn. Which: I'm totally willing to do, as I do want to learn something about the functioning of the machine. But I'm hoping that there are some fairly common and not-too-difficult to follow troubleshooting steps for this -- so I can at least isolate the issue. The whole reason I got a DIY kit was because I do want to have the full experience of understanding the principles, as I go along. At the same time, though, I hate to think that I simply wasted my money on a unit that I won't be able to make work :-/

Obviously any advice would be very well-appreciated!

Hey Michael, the violent movement (shudder) is the machine trying to adjust the axis beyond a physical limit and the control measure to set that limit is not met. See if the micro (limit) switches are working properly and made at the ends of the axises when . These switches controls the limits of the movement. When I assembled my Anet A8 Plus DIY Kit, I found that the lugs on the wiring connecting to the micro switches where not properly crimped and I had to redo those. The symptom was also the shudder...

Comment

Hi Michael, I have an Anet A8 and had a similar problem. In my case I had to replace the mother board and got the wires to one of the axises wrong and mixed up resulting in the shuddering you mentioned.

Comment

Some tips that are easy to check.

Double check your end stops are working and plugged in.

Home and use your finger to stop it?

Unplug and replug each motor having issues one at a time.

Motor Then motherboard.

Check to see if the motor spins freely with out it being connected to anything.
        Check cabeling by swapping cables swap spots on the motherboard etc.

Do all of that before you touch the motherboard current.

If all fails you can look up adjusting the stepper driver current. This is rare to do now.

Last thing to do is replace mobo. Call the manufacturer first.

Comment

Thank you for all your advice.

Comment

Working...
          X