3D printing rookie seeking advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D printing rookie seeking advice

Hello All. I'm brand new to this. I just got my first 3d-printer, an Ender 3 Pro, about a week ago, have got it setup and running. Now that I fixed the assembly instructions in my first post here, I have some questions about using this thing. I bought this with making structural objects in mind. and have been able to make gears of 1"-1 1/2" with around 0.005" runout, Pretty darn good for a machine that's yet to really be tuned. But, as was destined to happen, I have run across some problems.

I printed the gears with .25 layer height, 100% fill, no problem.

I found this pcb vise I want to print https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21357

I'm slicing in cura, now using 0.15 settings, 100%infill, "print speed" set from it's default of 60mm/s to 30mm/s, which in reality adjusts several parameters to 1/2 of their value. After the bracket failed, I reduced the "inner wall speed" to 20mm/s from it's 40mm/s that it calculated from my 30mm/s "print speed" setting. It had the same result.

Under "travel" I changed the Combing option from "all" to "within infill" It laid down the pattern beautifully directly on my magnetic build pad first try and it's printing very nicely as I type this. I believe this corrected my problem. My questions are, 1st off, to those that know this stuff, did it?, or did I just get lucky? If it did, is there a better option/parameter to use to fix it? Should I leave this option this way in general?

I'll include a picture of the bracket base, and of my failed print on a raft. In my picture, I pulled it off the bed hot, so it warped up, and the outer perimeter detached, but the way the ovals turned into teardrop shapes and the extreme string was the problem.

I thank all who take the time to read this, and even more so, any who can help me get a grasp on these concepts.
    Thank you - Mike00

Also I just noticed I'm operation out of specs for the material I'm using, This is PLA, amazon basics brand, the reel says 190-220, bed temp 40-55. I'm still running my machine at the default of 200-60, with the bed temp 5 degrees hotter than the reel calls for. I don't know how much of a difference that makes.
    model in cura disaster after about an hour of printing such a pretty raft
    Last edited by Mike00; 02-07-2019, 03:41 AM. Reason: added filliment and temperature information

Mike00

I'm also using the Ender3 (my Christmas present to myself this year) and I would suggest using a Brim not a Raft, for PLA you need a hot print bed to make the PLA stick well and the Raft top layer may not be staying hot enough on the surface.

For PLA I would set for 210 - 215 for your nozzle temp and 60 for the bed. A warmer bed helps that 1st layer stick better. You can also lower the print speed of the first layer to 10 - 35mm/s to help that first layer stick to the bed.
    I don't know if you have the textured mat or a glass bed, but for the price I think you'd be better off with the glass bed for the Ender3.
    You didn't say what slicer software you're using so I'm going to guess you're using Cura (3.6.0). There are some really good YouTube videos that go over some good profiles for the Ender3 that I've been using and I've had some good results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QN6zAU0XAg

I used these suggested settings and printed a really great Cat almost perfect except for some reason the Cat's ears got cut off. But I'm blaming that on the STL file and maybe Cura, since others have said they had the same thing happen with the Cat they printed.

Comment

I appreciate the response, and I will experiment with the temperature settings, the failures occurred with the initial layer speed is currently 15mm/s. My question was mainly about the ovals stringing into teardrops, and if disabling the combing stopped it, and if there's a better way to do it than to restrict the combing to "within infill", which as I understand it forces a retract while pulling off the inner walls, and avoids the mess. I did say I sliced it in Cura, and I did say I tried a raft once, all other times, including now, in what's so far so far a successful attempt, have printed directly onto the magnetic build pad provided. The mat is lightly textured. It seems to adhere quite well. I don't see how a brim would help as my perimeter is fine.

Comment

Mike00

Looking at it again I'm wondering if the bed is not as level as it could be. I noticed on the middle and left side of the image the print looks thinner and its not sticking like the right side.
        I had a design with a bunch of 10mm holes all the way through the print and your slots look like the holes that first printed until I fine tuned the bed up slightly to get a better print over the whole area of the bed.
        Those holes were out of round and some even folded up on themselves.
        I always have to do a fine tune/alignment print after I set the gap with a post-it note. It helps me fine tune and get an even layer going down all around the bed.

I'll reference another Youtube clip that really helped me.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EfWVUJjBdA

Comment

I had it leveled pretty good, right before all three failed attempts. I've printed a lot of things with it, all with success. I tried this a few times with the same failure mode, leveling between tries. The attempt pictured was done on a raft, for the sole purpose of negating any slight bed warping or out of level. That was not the problem. As for bed adhesion, I printed the drivescew for that vise vertical, about 6" long with less than a 1/2" base, and that went just fine. The problem shown in the picture is from something in the way it's sliced that creates a string in each oval that accumulates. I had the same thing happen 3 times until I restricted combing which forces a retract in those situations and it printed beautifully. Later I'll try to look at a g-code analyzer and see exactly what movement it was making.
          I should look at some test models like you mention, I also think I should tighten up the y-axis, I didn't want to mess with it as that part is a "pre-assembled" unit, but the rollers seem loose, I know there will be some rock no matter what but I don't know what is acceptable amount, It just seems a little much, so I may adjust some of that out.

Comment

Collapse

To post a reply to this thread you must be a member. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Please join our community today!
          Working...
          X