Glass Bed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glass Bed

Looking at glass beds and have a really simple newbie question. I see a lot of 220x220x3 options, most are full squares, but a few have the corners cut off.

Now it seems to me that I need one with the corners cut off, in fact I canít imagine how the full square ones would work. Surely when levelling the bed you need access to the adjusting screws in the corners. If they are covered then I canít see how you could set the bed to nozzle gap.

Am I missing something.

Cheers,

Nigel

You level against the bed upper surface so corners are appropriate. The adjustment is usually made by thumbscrews under the bed.

Buy at least 3mm thick glass and Borosilicate is preferred for its high temperature stability.
    Last edited by neildarlow; 11-12-2018, 07:21 AM.

Comment

I have an anet a8 - I originally assumed it would be the thumbscrews but they just seem to work as locking nuts.

The upper plate (the bed) has unthreaded holes so screw is free to turn. The lower fixing is threaded and then you have the thumbscrew. If you turn the thumbscrew it either unscrews or locks against the lower fixing.

Am I missing something.

Cheers,

Nigel

Comment

That's a poor design. The screw should be secured at the top of the bed and free to move against the carrier plate. The thumbscrews should pull against the springs to raise and lower the bed.

Your setup sounds like it will force you to use a screwdriver to level the bed from above in which case glass without corners will be required.

Comment

Yes that is correct, the Anet setup videos on Youtube show adjustment being done by screwdriver at the top and the wingnut simply locks the adjustment in place.

Must admit, I don't like it - I imagined using the thumbscrews to move the bed up and down.

Tempted to drill out the thread in the carrier and then the thumbscrews will adjust as we are expecting.

Comment

Originally posted by nheather
            Tempted to drill out the thread in the carrier and then the thumbscrews will adjust as we are expecting.
            I'd put a locknut under the heated bed and the spring against it. Maybe put longer screws in and add decent thumbscrews too.

Comment

Collapse

To post a reply to this thread you must be a member. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Please join our community today!
            Working...
            X