Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need advise from experienced 3d printer users

Hi All,

I have had a good google session on 3d printers but nothing really seams to answer my questions so, I am really hoping someone here can help me a little bit more directly.

So, here we go.

My requirements.

I need a home 3d printer, small enough to fit in my office but big enough to be useful.

My projects range from things as small as special frames for spectacles, bespoke cases for raspberry pi's, projects as large as pieces to create a laptop case or touch screen case from 5 inch to 10 inch, these are a couple examples of idea's that I have I think the things you can do with a 3d printer are pretty much limitless and could save hundreds of ££££££.

So my questions are.

For £500.00 what kind of 3d printer would I get, would I be able to create the kind of designs I am thinking of, or would it just be gimmick stuff like whistles or coasters that you can get for less than £1.00 from any shop in the street.

If anyone can advise a printer that would suite my needs please go ahead even if it costs more than £500.00, if it does what I need then great stuff or if you have one yourself that matches what I need then please tell me about it.

I apologies if these questions sound basic or old (I have also had a few whisky's), but I am really new to this and can't wait to get involved.

Thanks

John

Hi John, £500 is a decent budget.
    Initially, I would avoid small names that have never been heard of before...
    For ease of build, reliability & build plate size... and easy to understand operation & printing process + machine simplicity, I would suggest something like an i3... specifically made by CREO.
    This company is recently new, but has gained an amazing reputation for reliability & quality of their machines.
    Additionally, it will need very little attention to keep it going, & there are lots of privately designed upgrades available via Thingiverse website - the Universe of THINGS.... millions of them, already designed to just print.

There is a lot of info & help pages for the CREO machines too, so you will never be stuck & on your own.
    There are many cheaper versions of the i3 concept, & most of them are varying degrees of terrible.

My personal machiness are 4 Flashforge Dreamers, 4 Rostock Deltas, & 2 BIQU mini delta machines.... however, for a newbie & a seriously good machine,
    you wont go wrong with a Creo i3.... & it has a decent size print bed & build volume.
    Regards
    Grant B

Comment

Originally posted by GrantB View Post
      Hi John, £500 is a decent budget.
      Initially, I would avoid small names that have never been heard of before...
      For ease of build, reliability & build plate size... and easy to understand operation & printing process + machine simplicity, I would suggest something like an i3... specifically made by CREO.
      This company is recently new, but has gained an amazing reputation for reliability & quality of their machines.
      Additionally, it will need very little attention to keep it going, & there are lots of privately designed upgrades available via Thingiverse website - the Universe of THINGS.... millions of them, already designed to just print.

There is a lot of info & help pages for the CREO machines too, so you will never be stuck & on your own.
      There are many cheaper versions of the i3 concept, & most of them are varying degrees of terrible.

My personal machiness are 4 Flashforge Dreamers, 4 Rostock Deltas, & 2 BIQU mini delta machines.... however, for a newbie & a seriously good machine,
      you wont go wrong with a Creo i3.... & it has a decent size print bed & build volume.
      Regards
      Grant B

Thanks for the reply on that one I appreciate it.

Comment

Hi John,
        Check GrabCAD and Myminifactory aswell for (free) designs. Are you using CAD software already or still orienting? Also, what kind of materials are you planning to use? Since the use-cases of your ideas are very different, there are different material requirements. Most people use PLA, cheap and easy to use, but brittle and only suited for indoor models. ABS is hard to print without knowing any profile settings.
        PA, PC and PETG are also possibilities, but also require some material knowledge.
        I'd be happy to help out if the need arises.

tip: don't cheap out on materials. Better pay €5 to €10 more for a spool of filament than to waste hours of work into trying to get some cheapskate material to work.

greetings,
        AMR Europe

Comment

Originally posted by jboy012000 View Post
          Thanks for the reply on that one I appreciate it.
          Hi John,
          Feel free to PM me if you require any more assistance, and if you are anywhere near the West Midlands, you are welcome to visit & learn a bit more about this WITCH-CRAFT called 3d printing...

Comment

Originally posted by AMR_Europe View Post
            Hi John,
            Check GrabCAD and Myminifactory aswell for (free) designs. Are you using CAD software already or still orienting? Also, what kind of materials are you planning to use? Since the use-cases of your ideas are very different, there are different material requirements. Most people use PLA, cheap and easy to use, but brittle and only suited for indoor models. ABS is hard to print without knowing any profile settings.
            PA, PC and PETG are also possibilities, but also require some material knowledge.
            I'd be happy to help out if the need arises.

tip: don't cheap out on materials. Better pay €5 to €10 more for a spool of filament than to waste hours of work into trying to get some cheapskate material to work.

greetings,
            AMR Europe
            Thank you, honestly I will take you up on that, I like to build things that last, so I will ask about materials later on down the line.

As for software, there are many options out there I will have a good look and trial a few, I have both a Mac and Microsoft laptops to design my projects so, we will see where that goes.

Thanks again

John

Comment

Originally posted by GrantB View Post

Hi John,
              Feel free to PM me if you require any more assistance, and if you are anywhere near the West Midlands, you are welcome to visit & learn a bit more about this WITCH-CRAFT called 3d printing...
              Hi GrantB, that’s brilliant thank you, I am sure I will be intouch in the future.

Thanks again

John

Comment

Collapse

To post a reply to this thread you must be a member. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Please join our community today!
              Working...
              X