Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve inherited eight 3D printers!

Hi!

Im a design/art teacher with a product design and graphic design background. Im new to a magnet HS and Ive got eight 3D printers that have just been brought out of storage after being unused for about two years. Ive yet to locate software or even all of the parts for these printers...

I have no experience with 3D printing but extensive CNC experience, strong mechanical aptitude and Im comfortable with technology. Ive been watching lots of videos and reading about our machines. Id appreciate any advice about which machine you think I should start with.

We have four Cubify Cubes. These are discontinued, have problematic reviews and use expensive protprietary spools of filament. Boo

We have one Form 1+. This one seems really cool but its expensive to run and sounds like a massive PITA to clean up after.

We have two Solidoodles. These look janky as heck but they have larger platforms and use generic filament.

We have one older Makerbot (plywood model).

Any thoughts on which one I should start working with first? My plan for this year is to keep my students working in 2D for the fall semester (Photoshop/Illustrator/AfterEffects/Premier) and then do 3D modeling (Sketchup/Blender) and 3D printing in the spring semester. I have a few months to tinker and hope to have several machines running before long.

Thanks for any advice anyone is willing to share.

Hi Matthew,

If I were you, I'd start with the makerbot or solidoodles. If they're cheaper to run than it wouldn't be costly if you waste filament in experimenting.
    Use Cura for slicing and stick to basic settings such as layer height, nozzle and bed temperature, retraction and speed.
    I don't know the exact models but 0,2mm layer height (or 0,3) should be fine with most printers. Temperature: PLA @ 200C Nozzle, 45C Bed, ABS @ 240C Nozle, 115-120C Bed.
    Speed settings should be left standard for the material selected. Retraction is optional. First test simple and small objects, just to see what the material does.
    I hope this helps.
    If possible, you can use Fusion 360 for free for the students. It's quite friendly to use and would be a nice intro into using 3D CAD software.
    Good luck!

Comment

Agreed, Start with the Makerbot.... it may be ply construction, but most likely to work & will certainly be more reliable than the other oddments..

Comment

3D printing is exciting and it is even more exciting when you get 8 3D printers for free!!!!! If you need education assistance we would be glad to help. We have an online learning system that incorporates 3D printing with education.
        www.3dxstream-university.com
        Good luck!

Comment

Collapse

To post a reply to this thread you must be a member. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Please join our community today!
        Working...
        X