Changing filament mid print.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing filament mid print.

Hey everyone I'm looking at making a simple 2 colour print, starts at one colour then after a certain z height change filament and carry on.

I have done a test by inserting a M600 command into my gcode it the right height and it works just as it should be, however my printer seems to disengage the stepper motors while the filament change is happening and during my test I managed to move the print head slightly and obviously it was misaligned when it started again.
    Is there a way for me to insert a home x and y command after the filament change? Will that work ?

Thanks
    Last edited by MikeyBoxP; 03-11-2018, 05:15 PM.

So adding a G28 X command after the M600 gets the job done, it not perfect because after the printer resumes it moves the print head back to the last position first then does a home. I guess the best way to fix this would be to change the config in the firmware on how it deals with a filament change. Anyone done this before?

Comment

Prusa makes a program to do that. You can import the gcode and specify a layer. Read about "ColorPrint" in the page at the link. It may work for your printer or only on a prusa machine. Let us know if you try it?

Comment

Ahh great thanks, I haven't tried Prusa control before, I'll give it a go.
        Manually editing the gcode did work for me as it was a simple model, and was easy to find the right line of code. On a more complicated model this could be a great tool, i'll give it a go and let you know!

Thanks

Comment

Had a try of prusa control, its got some nice features if a little buggy. It seems its only really compatible with prusa style printers. I can probably get it to work well enough with my i3 clone. You can import g code from another slicer, which would be more useful for me, but unfortunately it freezes when trying to import gcode from kisslicer. Maybe they will update it soon and fix this, it could be a useful tool .

Comment

I do not think any normal 3D printer with a single extruder would be able to handle all this pressure of changing the filament. Therefore, if you wish to get objects in multiple colors, you can get a dual extruder 3D printer.
            Buy Cheap & Best DIY 3D Printer Kit at Discounted Price now. We have a great collection of 3D printers available for sale. Check our small & large 3D printers, Check prices, Vendors & Reviews.

Comment

Collapse

To post a reply to this thread you must be a member. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Please join our community today!
            Working...
            X