Need help with speed settings and clogging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with speed settings and clogging

I have a wanhao duplicator i3. V2.1. I have made the following upgrades. Z brace mod, z height extension and microswiss all metal hot end. I have started experimenting with print speeds and I'm starting to experience clogging In the extruder. I have included pics of a model i designed and am experimenting with and also my print settings. Can you please help me work out how I can achieve faster print speeds without clogging. I have also ordered upgraded extruder gear https://ultimate3dprintingstore.com/...esktop-printer that are meant to reduce slipping and stripping of the filament. Are there any other ways I can eliminate clogging without lowering print speeds. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

You could try reducing your retraction to 2mm and see if that helps - 7mm seems a bit excessive.

Sorry to say but you are already printing faster than the recommended speed for your printer as it is. So your speed is most likely the cause of your issues.
    General rule of thumb is 60mm/sec for normal print moves and 40mm/sec (or lower) for shells.

Regardless of all the above, if you want to push the speed on your machine you need to increase your temps.
    The faster your printer is going the harder you force the filament through the nozzle and the less time it has to get to temp before being extruded.
    Up your temps a bit and see if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Razzle
      You could try reducing your retraction to 2mm and see if that helps - 7mm seems a bit excessive.

Sorry to say but you are already printing faster than the recommended speed for your printer as it is. So your speed is most likely the cause of your issues.
      General rule of thumb is 60mm/sec for normal print moves and 40mm/sec (or lower) for shells.

Regardless of all the above, if you want to push the speed on your machine you need to increase your temps.
      The faster your printer is going the harder you force the filament through the nozzle and the less time it has to get to temp before being extruded.
      Up your temps a bit and see if that helps.
      Ok that sounds like really good advice. I didn't think of that the retraction is quite high. I'm still learning lol. I know I'm printing pretty quickly but I figured with the modifications I have made I could push it. I'm currently printing PLA at 210/60 what temperature would you recommend? Thanks a lot for your help.

Comment

With an all metal upgrade as you stated, the hot zone in your extruder is much more progressive and should be limited to around 2mm.
        With the original PTFE lined extruder you can retract quite a way without too much issue on the clogging side of things... you may have other issues like popping though with too much.

I have printed standard everyday PLA at 235 degrees through an all metal hotend at 100mm sec. On a delta though and it was a circular print in vase mode.

Try 220 and see if you can manually feed the filament through a reasonable amount quicker than at 210.

Speed, layer height and temps are all relative. :-)

Comment

With an all metal upgrade as you stated, the hot zone in your extruder is much more progressive and should be limited to around 2mm.
          With the original PTFE lined extruder you can retract quite a way without too much issue on the clogging side of things... you may have other issues like popping though with too much.

I have printed standard everyday PLA at 235 degrees through an all metal hotend at 100mm sec. On a delta though and it was a circular print in vase mode.

Try 220 and see if you can manually feed the filament through a reasonable amount quicker than at 210.

Speed, layer height and temps are all relative. :-)
          Ok I will give it a go sounds promising. It's funny I had blockages printing white filament. I ran out and swapped to black and I have run the same print twice and no blockage. There are a lot of variables in this game you sound quite informed so thank you very much for your help.

Comment

There sure are a lot of variables. Like you mentioned, a different colour in the exact same brand of filament can respond differently. Black absorbs heat faster than white so it is most likely getting to temp a bit quicker.

No problems. Happy to help.

Comment

There sure are a lot of variables. Like you mentioned, a different colour in the exact same brand of filament can respond differently. Black absorbs heat faster than white so it is most likely getting to temp a bit quicker.

No problems. Happy to help.

Hey razzle I put my retraction down to 2mm and it seems to have resolved my issue of clogging. I have ran a few prints at the same speeds and haven't had any clogging thanks heaps

Comment

Collapse

To post a reply to this thread you must be a member. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Please join our community today!
              Working...
              X