NOOB looking for a decent printer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOOB looking for a decent printer.

Completely new to 3D printing and looking to get started. Hopefully ya'll can decipher my newbie speak. Ive been doing some research and here are some of my wants:

1.) Decent sized print area. No idea what "decent" is, but I dont want tiny either.

2.) Ability to use different types of filiment for different projects (up to nylon temp).

3.) Ability to print off SD card/thumb drive/etc.

4.) Easy to find replacement parts/upgrades.

5.) Good tech support.

The one Im looking at right now is the Prusa I3 MK2S. Budget is about $700

Does this live up to the hype? Is there anything better out there?

It seems you have decided why not the MK3 this guy has been making printers for years and if you print extra of the printed parts before they break there is your replacement part issue taken care of. I am not sure if the hotend can do nylon ? why anybody wants nylon as it can be messy hard to print but whatever. I think the printer has the ability to wifi print and sd no big deal to add. If you haven't watched videos on this do so. It seems to me there would be good support. Unless you can afford a professional printer whatever printer you get there will be fine tuning, learning, experimentation, failures and success. That is why this forum exists. Start with PLA then PETG and copoly's and if you plan to do flexible I would look at getting an extra extruder like Flexion or DyzeEnd depending on what extruder comes with Prusa haven't watched video on it lately. Some like ABS but I have stayed away from it no need. Happy printing!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger3D
      It seems you have decided why not the MK3 this guy has been making printers for years and if you print extra of the printed parts before they break there is your replacement part issue taken care of. I am not sure if the hotend can do nylon ? why anybody wants nylon as it can be messy hard to print but whatever. I think the printer has the ability to wifi print and sd no big deal to add. If you haven't watched videos on this do so. It seems to me there would be good support. Unless you can afford a professional printer whatever printer you get there will be fine tuning, learning, experimentation, failures and success. That is why this forum exists. Start with PLA then PETG and copoly's and if you plan to do flexible I would look at getting an extra extruder like Flexion or DyzeEnd depending on what extruder comes with Prusa haven't watched video on it lately. Some like ABS but I have stayed away from it no need. Happy printing!
      As I said, im a complete noob to these, but the fine tuning stuff I can handle. I work with analyzers, instruments, etc for a living.

The reason for the interest in nylon is for printing durable gears. There may be materials as good or better, but nylon is what I always thought they were made of.

My reason for looking at the mk2 vs mk3 is that it is currently available, its a little cheaper (the mk3 would be over my budget after shipping), and it has been on the market a while so most of the bugs should be worked out by now.

And I havent made a decision quite yet. The reason for my post was to find out if there were better optjons out there within my budget.

Comment

OK the Mk2 can do nylon but the suggestion to print with nylon is not on glass, kapton or painter tape they recommend cardboard or wood check out printing with nylon sites but if I needed a third printer I would get the Prusa

Comment

I bought a Prusa mk3 i3. I like it a lot better than the other machines I've had. It was worth extra money to me for the extra features.
          Power fail recover, filament out, much quieter printing, etc. I can just print and get on with what I was doing.

Comment

Originally posted by jsprenkle@gmail.com
            I bought a Prusa mk3 i3. I like it a lot better than the other machines I've had. It was worth extra money to me for the extra features.
            Power fail recover, filament out, much quieter printing, etc. I can just print and get on with what I was doing.
            Is this the same printer?

https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-print...-mk3-kit.html#

I saw on that page that they were taking pre orders for the mk3 so I didnt know if they ran out or if this is a newer version.

Comment

Just an update. I ended up ordering a creality CR10 and have been pretty pleased with the printer itself! Made a few upgrades as well Tried using octoprint on a raspberry pi and gave up.

Comment

Still modding on the CR-10, but getting some beautiful prints with PLA. Havent ventured into any other materials yet.

Comment

Hi fishingsetx,
                  Can I Share my experience of one product? This is Flash FORGE FINDER , It costs around $400 and has a 5.5”3 build area. But that’s far from all this product has to offer. This printer is exactly what you imagine when someone says “3D printer”. It looks futuristic and sleek, featuring a small 3.5” LCD touchscreen interface. This keeps operation nice and simple while providing enough flexibility to navigate menus with ease.

The Finder offers two ways to import files. The first is the standard SD care and flash drive support, but it also features WiFi functionality for tetherless printing. This can be particularly useful if your computer is somewhere out of the way and you don’t fancy running cables through your home. I purchased this printer after reviewed this list (https://www.3dbeginners.com/best-3d-printer/), Because just they said it's usefull and awesome .

Comment

Working...
                  X