Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prusa i3 / Anet A8 - Hypercube

Hi;

I have been researching my first 3D printer and it looks like I am going to get an Anet A8. I was thinking of also buying a Steel Frame for it but I have just come across some Hypercube 3D Printer Builds which use the basic parts of a Prusa i3.
    Before I get my first 3D Printer can the Anet A8 or any Prusa i3 be converted into a Hypercube? I would prefer the square frame and prefer the way that the extruder moves X and Y as opposed to the Hotbed (if I have got that correct?

Welcome!
    If I may offer my input as someone that has recently built an ANET A8 as their first printer, build the A8 kit as it comes and use it to print parts for your build. The A8 is a very capable machine after only a few mods--you'll be able to print quality parts for your upgraded build all while learning about the mechanics of 3D printing. I don't see any reason why you can't adapt the A8 kit to realize your goal.

Comment

Originally posted by W0J0 View Post
      Welcome!
      If I may offer my input as someone that has recently built an ANET A8 as their first printer, build the A8 kit as it comes and use it to print parts for your build. The A8 is a very capable machine after only a few mods--you'll be able to print quality parts for your upgraded build all while learning about the mechanics of 3D printing. I don't see any reason why you can't adapt the A8 kit to realize your goal.
      Thanks for the reply - I have heard some good things about the Anet A8 and about some of the mods that should be done as soon as you build it such as a shroud for the extruder and something about changing the Mosfets in the PSU??
      best place to buy seems to be GearBest but the UK warehouses seem to now say discontinued?

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyAlpha

Thanks for the reply - I have heard some good things about the Anet A8 and about some of the mods that should be done as soon as you build it such as a shroud for the extruder and something about changing the Mosfets in the PSU??
        best place to buy seems to be GearBest but the UK warehouses seem to now say discontinued?
        The extruder shroud (I assume you're referring to the cooling fan guide) is not that high on priorities list. Adding a MOSFET between the power supply and the heated print bed is almost mandatory and it wouldn't hurt to add one for the extruder, too, but that isn't as critical.
        One of the upgrades that made the biggest difference in print quality was the x axis belt tensioner and holder. You'll see that you cannot get proper tension on the belt with the way they have you attach it to the extruder carriage so you'll have to muddle through printing the tensioner and holding device with a somewhat slack belt. Other good mods are filament guides and a button cap to go over the screw head for loading filament into the extruder; that thing digs into your thumb pretty good.
        Gear Best seems like a quality retailer but ordered my kit from an apparently reputable seller on fleabay with no issues. Initially I intended to purchase through Amazon but scrapped that plan when I found I could save about a hundred dollars by buying elsewhere. I'm not sure what your side of the pond has to offer in terms of online retailers but hopefully this helps.

Comment

Instead, you could go for CBOT 3D Printer, which comes with a multi functional metal frame Prusa I3 Kit that has a large build area and automatic platform leveling features. Also, this 3D Printer is extremely affordable to obtain.

Comment

Originally posted by steveprinters29 View Post
            Instead, you could go for CBOT 3D Printer, which comes with a multi functional metal frame Prusa I3 Kit that has a large build area and automatic platform leveling features. Also, this 3D Printer is extremely affordable to obtain.
            Looks like USA only - not a bad printer though.

Comment

Originally posted by W0J0 View Post
              The extruder shroud (I assume you're referring to the cooling fan guide) is not that high on priorities list. Adding a MOSFET between the power supply and the heated print bed is almost mandatory and it wouldn't hurt to add one for the extruder, too, but that isn't as critical.
              One of the upgrades that made the biggest difference in print quality was the x axis belt tensioner and holder. You'll see that you cannot get proper tension on the belt with the way they have you attach it to the extruder carriage so you'll have to muddle through printing the tensioner and holding device with a somewhat slack belt. Other good mods are filament guides and a button cap to go over the screw head for loading filament into the extruder; that thing digs into your thumb pretty good.
              Gear Best seems like a quality retailer but ordered my kit from an apparently reputable seller on fleabay with no issues. Initially I intended to purchase through Amazon but scrapped that plan when I found I could save about a hundred dollars by buying elsewhere. I'm not sure what your side of the pond has to offer in terms of online retailers but hopefully this helps.
              Thanks for the reply - for the Extruder Mod I meant did you replace the "Print Head" (Hot End / Nozzle Etc) my understanding is that these can be problematic?

Comment

Working...
              X