Print speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Print speed

Please I would love to know What is a fast print speed for a home printer with decent resolution? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Bump.........

Comment

There is no such thing as a set speed being fast. It will depend on the printer, the hot end, the extruder, the motors, the filament used and the complexity of the item being printed. Change any one of these and your max speed will change. I can tell you that what the manufacturers list as max speed can almost never be reached. That being said I can tell you that with a 4mm brass nozzle and PLA on either of my printers 60mm/s is about the max reliable speed. However printing as fast as you can seldom produces good prints and often will even cause a print to fail entirely. Sorry but there is not exact amount anyone an give you. On one print that is simple to print you might do 60mm/s. On the next one with lots of complexion or details you might only be able to do 15mm/s. More often than not you will run at multiple speeds within the same print. You want your first few layers to be layed down extremely slow. On areas of the print that don't have much detail or for infill you might go up to your own 60mm/s. Then when doing outer walls or complicated areas you could go back down to 25mm/s. If you want to get good quality, you print slow. If you want to avoid filament jams, you also need to slow down. Some people will actually replace some of their original extruders to do faster more reliable prints. Tiny little prints under a couple of inches can take under an hour at medium quality. But prints that fill large print beds can sometimes take 50 hours or more.

You'll find youll like printing with certain filaments and if you're using the same printer you'll get good at guesstimates. Your slicer software is good for giving you estimates. They might not be perfect but they will allow you to try different print settings and see how those changes effect time, cost and filament used.

Comment

Working...
      X