Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying CR-10, what else?

I'm buying this guy today.

So I have to make a decision, so based on the ~$530 price, large print size, good reviews, I am going to pull the trigger on a Hictop CR-10 from Amazon. I'm sure there are better options for one reason or another, but if I don't make a decision now, I never will and will end up backing out.

My question for all of you helpful experts...what else do I need to get immediately? IIRC the Simply 3D software is highly recommended and costs $150. Or there's free software available also I think. So what software direction does everyone recommend? Running Windows 10 Pro.

Filament? Do I just start with a couple of rolls of PLA from Hictop, or get somewhere else, or get ABS immediately also, another type?

What about the plate? I also remember reading about a special plate / glass that seems like it would help tremendously with print adhesion. Advice, specifics?

Any other little things I'm missing? I'd hate to jump into working on this when it arrives only to find out I have to wait another several days to get more stuff in. I hate it when that happens ;-)

Also, on a side note, a question about an enclosure. I've read that this thing heats up a room quite a bit due to size. I've also read that fully enclosed printers work better. Would it be possible / advisable to build a big acrylic box to put over the top of this thing to retain heat? It seems like an easy solution but I haven't seen it suggested so it might not be a good idea for some reason or another.

Thanks in advance!

PLA is a great starting material, you will have to play around with ABS, PLA I find, likes to be cooler, So a enclosure is not needed or just leave the door open if enclosed and fans running, ABS, for good quality prints you need a steady temperature to produce good results, As drafts and changes in temperature can cause, warping & cracking. PLA with stick to a glass bed @50/60c , While ABS Needs +110c. However there still may be issues with the ABS print not sticking and warping. Iv have been recommended on this forum to use a 50/50 PVA water mix or PEI Sheet, To make the ABS stick.

Im currently using repetier host, good free bit of software, and it should be fine using a acrylic enclosure, looking at these images https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe...k1.54jUQkfZqpQ

Hope this sort of helped.

Kind regards,
    Rick

Comment

Thanks, info very much appreciated!

Bought this guy, printed the test file, worked well. Printed my own design, didn't work as well, but probably the slic3r settings. Working last night on it again, changed settings, stuck the SD card in the slot....whoops! missed and it fell into the power supply. Tore that sucker apart last night and couldn't find it anywhere. It's still fun though!

Comment

Working...
      X