Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!

Hi i am new to this and thinking about buying a printer for home. I would like to print characters of my family and also of my restored truck and wondering what i need for this. I was in hong kong and they took pics of each side of my face and made a minime out of it. I would like to do the same. Is there software for this and what price range for a camera to do this and a good printer for this. I live in australia

bump.......

Comment

3d printing and 3d scanning are two separate practices.

You'll need a 3d scanner to generate a digital 3d model. Dedicated 3d scanners are rather expensive and often limited in capabilities. I saw a video once of somebody who used a Xbox 360 Kinect and some specialized software for diy scanner. Try some googling and see what you turn up.

3d printing on the other hand is almost art on to it's self. The prices on printers vary widely. Getting good quality prints isn't dependent solo on how much money you spend. It can take practice and experience.

My advice, unless you plan to do a lot of 3d printing. It would be more economical to hire a 3d printing service. If your dead set on getting a printer. Check Amazon they have a good selection of printers.

As for the 3d scanning, I don't think I've ever seen any such services but they probably exist. You can pick up a used Xbox 360 Kinect for cheap. Then you can send the 3d model files to the printing service.

Comment

I have had good success scanning using an X-Box Kinect 360.... when mounted properly with no vibration & a clean white back ground, my scans come out amazingly well accurate to 150 microns...

the Kinect 360 is about $60 / £40 new on Flea-Bay & there are many postings on the net for the support software free to use.
        I have better scans with this Xbox thing than a £1,200 scanner I bought earlier this year.

I now use the Xbox kinect 360 scanner commercially as it can scan 1 metre cubed objects & people with pretty good definition for a portable device - mounted in a vibration proof case & on a good solid tripod the scans are very impressive.

There are a few software packages you can download for free to manipulate & convert the scans to printable STL files, so you are totally independant of internet access for the results.

Comment

Working...
        X