String before Skirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String before Skirt

Feeling my way into my new printer and the myriad of settings. Theres one thing I cant work out what i need to do particularly. My prints always start the same way, the head comes to the front corner, extrudes a couple of centimetres of filament then lowers to the bed and comes in to do a skirt, but the couple of centimetres are just dangling, an its just luck whether that falls to the outside of the skirt, gets trapped under the skirt, or falls inside the skirt potentially sabotaging the first layer of the print.

The settings once it does the skirt are pretty good, so i dont want to radically change anything but is there anything I can do to fix this?

It would be nice if the print did a little 'dot' print off to the corner, then diagonalled in to start the skirt, but that doesnt seem to be a thing in Cura.
    Last edited by WobagUK; 05-21-2017, 03:13 PM.

Hi WobagUK,

Im not sure why it might be doing that. It might be something in the firmware of the printer. I assume you are running Marlin (most printers do) so you could re-flash the printer with Marlin which might cure it.

Otherwise you might want to see the gcode that cura creates for your printer. This is viewable in the configure/manage printer section of Cura.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    Will
    3DEX
    Trusted UK-based 3D printing supplier of high quality 3D printer filament. 1.75mm PLA filament, ABS filament, Copper filament, Wood filament, Aluminium filament, Beer filament, Coffee Filament, Hemp Filament. Based in Suffolk, East Anglia, 3DEX is a friendly company with years of experience in an exciting and expanding industry.

Comment

That is normal and is called ooze. Just use a tweezers and pull those few cms off as the head moves in to print. That way it will not mar your print.

Comment

Sounds like its homing the head and bed and as the post above says its just ooze, i use thin long nose pliers to pull this off

Comment

Working...
        X