New to 3d printing need advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to 3d printing need advice please

I've been watching youtube videos and looking online and trying to narrow down a printer. Would appreciate any help.

So I'm looking for a printer under the $400 mark. A printer that would support STL files or other common known files that are shared online.

I have one project I want to print which is STL file believe.

MO better person to ask for advice than those that own 3D printers.

Looking for reliability of printer, user friendly and if capable of using variety of materials, that's a plus.

Any help would be appreciated.

Just starting out, I would reccommend buying a kit such as folgertech I3 or similar. If you learn all the mechanical things that can go wrong on a machine that you built, you will be able to fix any machine. Also, there are a lot of good 3d printers that you can download for free and print your own after you have a basic printer working (Wilson, OB1.4, Ecksbot, etc), just by downloading and printing the files from thingiverse. Just jump in with both feet and enjoy the ride.

Comment

I would echo Haroldj's advice. I got a kit when I started out specifically because I wanted to know understand how it works, and why. That has made the learning curve much, much more tolerable.
      I can't recommend anyone but Makerfarm. Colin is GREAT and his costomer support can't be beat.
      Many of these places don't want to hear from you once your credit card or paypal has gone through. Colin still helps me out when I have a question. Makerfarm is an American company, I think most of his stuff comes from the U.S.
      Maker Farm - Your source for 3D printing kits and electronics for RepRap, PrintrBoard, RAMPS, Gen6

Comment

I've only had a printer for about a month now, but I love my Monoprice Maker Select Plus; it's apparently a rebranding of the Wanhao i3. We chose it because it felt a little more user friendly than a build your own kit, but has a lively community that are more than happy to help you make changes to make it better when you feel ready to do so. Its potential to make decent sized prints (about 7x7x7) and use lots of different filament types were big selling points for us.

Comment

I bought a cheap chinese kit from ebay, worked great out of the box, ive since upgraded a fair amount on it and it still works great, i would agree with the buy a kit thoughts, that way you know how its put together and should anything go amiss you wont worry about taking it apart, plus you have the pride of building one awesome robot lol

Comment

I suggest buying Monoprice select Mini 3d printer its cheap and duarable for printing

Comment

copy response from another posted question.

Hi People,
              At this price, you will not get a lot... however, I buy these machines as donors for a bigger machine build.. and buy about 20 a month & sell off the surplus bits.
              When you look at the PCB - motherboard, you will notice the RED stepper driver boards x4 or 5 are separates & therefor replaceable if you bugger them up some how... and so far, i have bought about 200 of these & never had an electronic failure.... tho I have had a few motors or heating elements that were dead..... either way, spares are dirt cheap on ebay for any part you may destroy or that fails any way.

On thingiverse, there are lots of upgrades for them & these machines use Cura as the slicer software, which is excellent even for industrila use.
              These little machines can be ripped apart once you get the hang of this witchcraft-hobby & built into a seriously good device.

The machines these little things are the donor for is a 600 x 300 bed machine that prints at a nominal 250mms on long straights.

ebay link below.... if you buy one of these i3 copys, there are millions of people out there with good advice on the build & how to improve them, on this forum & also the Thingiverse forum, also on you-tube etc
              You have to build it yourself, & its reasonably simple.... once you have done it.

if you source one near of these near you... UK / USA or where ever - take a close look at the circuit board and ENSURE WHAT YOU CHOOSE HAS AN IDENTICAL BOARD.
              The Thingiverse.com web site has thousands of upgraded parts people have designed & turned these little budget builds into very good machines that can perform as well as a $1,000 machine.

Remember that - the build skills & attention to detail is what makes or breaks these budget machines.... whatever brand or type you buy.
              Building yur own machine is an excellent way to learn the principles & operations.
              If you get one of these running & get results with it, then you can make & print anything....

ebay item number for one sold in the UK
              eBay item number:

Regards
              Grant B

Comment

My first step into 3D printing was via a Wanhao i3, and I soon started experiencing problems with failed prints, it turn out there was a generic fault on the circuit board which required a bit of fixing, well having a 12 month warranty should mean I needn't do any self upgrading to something that in the UK should work out of the box so it went back to Amazon for a full refund.
                Personally I wouldn't recommend spending less than 600 on a printer, and I certainly wouldn't advise a newbie to buy a kit! I've got a mate who bought a kit, and he hasn't had a decent print off it in six months!
                My advice is to buy a built for purpose machine, with a decent warranty from a known supplier and learn about the nuts and bolts of the process before venturing into building your own, thats the way I've gone, yes it is a steep learning curve, but not as steep as the one you will have through trying to build your own.

Comment

Hi There,
                  Which ever way you go in getting a machine... Kit or Built, the learning curve is steep - as our friend "Submariner" says.
                  There are advantages to both ways - kit or built.... but either way.... PLEASE REMEMBER, the topic is highly rewarding, and even though it will often seem an impossible task to get a print off a machine in a decent condition... WE ALL HAVE TO LEARN THE HARD WAY.
                  When I 1st started 3d printing, I must admit that the machine wa almost thrown from an upstairs window - many times !!!
                  HOWEVER,
                  when you have started getting results from this process, you will smile & realize that you have actually mastered WITCH-CRAFT... There is no easy way to get instant results.

If you possibly can, find some one living locally who is getting good prints, or at least some one who is available at the end of an email to share pictures of print issues, machine set-up & settings etc...
                  The more information you can share or pick up from others, the easier it becomes & will advance the learning curve by many months - every week.

I must admit, 3d printing frustrated the hell out of me initially, but now it is a simple.... and so useful in my everyday work, & I get a lot of fun making my own things & saving a fortune in not buying stuff.

I now have 4 FlashForge Dreamers, and they are all working 10 hours a day, 6 days a week & earn me a nice fun living, in addition to my proper-real job.
                  This is a great hobby, but expect to do a lot of head scratching to solve problems.... which are usually VERY fast & easy to solve/fix

I started with a Genuine Wanhao i3 for about 350... then got the Flashforge Dreamers, which I am very happy with.

Note... every machine has good points & it's own set of problems... & generally a machine from 600 > 1000 will do well for you & work fine. They ALL NEED CARE & gentle maintenance etc to some level...
                  Again.... it's a learning curve, & eventually you will find a machine that becomes your favorite...
                  Regards Grant B

Comment

Hey guys which best 3d printer is good to buy flash forge or maker bot i cant decide which one to buy??

heres more information about the printers

Comment

Forum Sponsors

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X