Please help if you can.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help if you can.

I've searched few some answers but still have a few questions.

I'm looking for a color 3D printer. I'd like it to be assembled if possible. Somewhat easy to use/learn.

No idea what the best filliment to use.

I'd like to keep the price below $800 if possible

I'd like the print objects that are approx 7" in diameter and also up to 9" long if possible.

id like the printed objects to have a smooth look to them

Id like the option to scan something to print. Don't know if this is the printer or software.

also where would the best place be to purchase for price and service. And best place to purchase supplies

thank you!

Didn't think these were hard questions for experienced people. Guess I was wrong.

Comment

I'm looking for a color 3D printer.
      **The colour is whatever material you choose

I'd like it to be assembled if possible.
      Somewhat easy to use/learn.
      **Assembled will take lots of trial & error, but if you use a machine like say - Wanhoa i3 or Flash Forge Dreamer then many people can share their knowledge with that specific machine's quirks & requirements
      **go to Technology Outlet UK & view the options available... lots of machines from 1 supplier with lots of details about the machines.

No idea what the best filament to use.
      **Go for 1.75mm filament, as more of us use it.
      **ABS is better for some things
      *PLA is best for other things
      *** BOTH have their own advantages.... PLA is less prone to warping & generally easier to print with.... personally I like ABS as it can be solvent welded or joined with acetone, .. so if you have a big item to print, you can slice it into smaller pieces that fit the print bed - then weld them back into one piece later.

***Flash Forge Dreamer / Wanhao-i3 are possibly good routes to take.... avoid CTC machines if you have a good budget.
      The CTC machines are very cheap, but are built on a small budget - they can be made to work VERY well - with a fair bit of tinkering.

I'd like the print objects that are approx 7" in diameter and also up to 9" long if possible.
      ** Spend LOTS more money on a bigger machine, OR print using ABS filaments, slice the print into smaller parts & re-join when completed printing sub parts

**Print ABS parts & treat them to fan blown ABS VApour in a sealed box - they can be made to look like moulded parts - see pics attached

Id like the option to scan something to print. Don't know if this is the printer or software.
      ** any scanner under $30,000 has its short comings.... suggest you either design your own parts or download from Thingiverse.com where there are millions of pre designed items ready to print.

also where would the best place be to purchase for price and service. And best place to purchase supplies
      ** Ebay for spare parts & print filaments.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by GrantB; 03-28-2017, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Chances are the reason why the knowledgeable people haven't responded is because you are asking questions without the information given for a viable answer. Like many newbies of many technologies you have just asked "what is the best xxx" like many specialty markets there is no such thing as a best, or perfect all encompassing device.

In your post you listed a lot of features along with positives and negatives. Anyone that has spent time investigating 3D printers has learned this information. What you haven't discussed is what your needs are and what your intentions are. How can someone give you practical advice without knowing what your goals are. Especially when your introduction reminded me of what a squirrel is thinking when it is trying to cross the road. Should I do this or wait maybe this but it also causes this. When in actuality he should be considering what his goals are first, "are there nuts at that across the road". So before you decide what printer you are going to purchase sit down and figure out what it is you need to accomplish, how are you going to accomplish it and is purchasing a 3D printer going to solve your problem.

Judging by some of the statements in your post I wouldn't be surprised if a FDM printer is going to be a big disappointment

Comment

Don't discount the ctci3 printer, plus a full colour printer for under 800 your having a laugh

Comment

Originally posted by GrantB View Post

I'm looking for a color 3D printer.
            **The colour is whatever material you choose

I'd like it to be assembled if possible.
            Somewhat easy to use/learn.
            **Assembled will take lots of trial & error, but if you use a machine like say - Wanhoa i3 or Flash Forge Dreamer then many people can share their knowledge with that specific machine's quirks & requirements
            **go to Technology Outlet UK & view the options available... lots of machines from 1 supplier with lots of details about the machines.

No idea what the best filament to use.
            **Go for 1.75mm filament, as more of us use it.
            **ABS is better for some things
            *PLA is best for other things
            *** BOTH have their own advantages.... PLA is less prone to warping & generally easier to print with.... personally I like ABS as it can be solvent welded or joined with acetone, .. so if you have a big item to print, you can slice it into smaller pieces that fit the print bed - then weld them back into one piece later.

***Flash Forge Dreamer / Wanhao-i3 are possibly good routes to take.... avoid CTC machines if you have a good budget.
            The CTC machines are very cheap, but are built on a small budget - they can be made to work VERY well - with a fair bit of tinkering.

** Spend LOTS more money on a bigger machine, OR print using ABS filaments, slice the print into smaller parts & re-join when completed printing sub parts

**Print ABS parts & treat them to fan blown ABS VApour in a sealed box - they can be made to look like moulded parts - see pics attached

** any scanner under $30,000 has its short comings.... suggest you either design your own parts or download from Thingiverse.com where there are millions of pre designed items ready to print.

** Ebay for spare parts & print filaments.

thank you very much for all of your very valuable information! I very much appreciate it and will use this in selecting my printer. I've got a lot more to learn but this is a great starting point for me.

Thank you very very much!

Comment

Register or Login

Collapse
            Working...
            X