Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you add infill to a self created 3d model?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you add infill to a self created 3d model?

I want to get into 3d modelling, I've been messing around with Sketchup and i have created some basic designs with it, I made a hollow test cube thinking i could use a slicing program to add infill to the empty void inside the cube. But this doesn't work. I'm obviously missing something. Can anyone give me a push in the right direction? Cheers.

I think that Your part is not a solid, that may be the case why there is no infill.

Comment

Sketchup is not very good with making models that are 3D printable. The model will probably not be watertight or itíll have other errors. The best way is to upload it to https://www.MakePrintable.com and itíll fix it automatically, there is also a SketchUp plugin that you can download from the site. If you want something manual, then check out meshlab.

Comment

Infill is done in the slicer software. You can choose percentage and pattern of the infill in the settings.

Comment

As JBing27 said the slicer program does it for you. I would also recommend you check out TinkerCad. It's much superior to Sketchup for 3d printing.

Comment

If you model has a void then it will always be a void.
            you can't add 'infill' this is only applicable in a model's solid areas.
            However, you can add support material. This isn't infil but it is similar in arrangement in most slicers.

slicers aren't a 3d design program so you can't edit 3D models. Just resize it.

Comment

As Rebekah said. If the other options are not good for you try adding support via the slicer. you will see Support from bed or Support all. Choose support all. Not quite as good as infill but can be close.

Comment

In cura im pretty sure you can can choose density of infill and add support. (Supports not 100% sure)

Comment

Sorry for the late reply and thanks all for the info, I will have a look at some other modelling software as suggested here.

Comment

once you design a part in cad it must be exported as an stl or obj file that is water tight manifold or it will error out when slicing. you can design shelled out parts but a solid cube when sliced has all the infill there in g code but in slicer configuration there are many infill settings you can mess with remember any time you change any setting you Must re slice again before printing

Comment

Register or Login

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X