Ready to take over the world!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ready to take over the world!

Now that I have a 3d printer it should be simple!

Just bought a Powerspec 3D pro. Which I believe is a clone of a clone of a replicator 2x.

I've been surprised by just how time intensive it is. My printer wasn't calibrated even close.
    Since it's an open loop control system it's got to be adjusted correctly, by someone who doesn't know how, or it works poorly. Good thing I'm a glutton for punishment.

I'm a professional programmer with a minor in Electronics and Math.
    I'm studying to requalify for my Amateur Radio license.
    My project that requires a 3d printer is making a better overflow filter system for salt water aquaria.

Cya around the forums!

Jay

Welcome to the forums Jay! You should show us your printer and some prints.

What material do you intend to use for the tank? A friend of mine was interested in having me make him a custom grate, but he was worried about chem bleed.
    Last edited by ARKtest; 04-03-2015, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Nice to meet you Arktest.

I'm using PLA. I was concerned about chem bleed as well. PLA is supposed to be food grade plastic. I thought with sufficient cleaning I could remove anything that might leach out and hurt the animals.

I've started on a sump return. The first part is the float switch to control the sump pump. An optical sensor and optically isolated relay seem pretty straight forward but I will have to learn how to design parts using disolvable filament. I'll try
      to print a float that interrupts a light beam if the water level in the tank is too high. Don't want water on the floor!

Comment

Its nice to meet you too Jay.

My friend needed me to make him a replacement grate to keep his creatures out of the holes. Which are long flimsy slits. I was going to put cross members in so the critters don't have to face the water pump version of a wood chipper.

Comment

WELCOME... Sounds interesting project.

I think can use Polypropylene for the switch...

Welcome to the forum...

Comment

Originally posted by Dontknow View Post
            WELCOME... Sounds interesting project.

I think can use Polypropylene for the switch...

Welcome to the forum...
            It's for a salt water aquarium. If you grow corals very small amounts of pollutants can kill them.
            So the choice of plastic is important. I'll look at using that too. Wikipedia says good things about it:

"This material is often chosen for its resistance to corrosion and chemical leaching, its resilience against most forms of physical damage, including impact and freezing, its environmental benefits, and its ability to be joined by heat fusion rather than gluing"

Comment

Definitely let me know how it goes, I think he wants to have to stop fishing the more explorative members of his tank out of the filters. Puns intended.

Comment

Oh, yeah, I'm certain he does. A bunch of things are filter feeders too so good water flow is where they want to live.

Comment

This might be good, but it's lots more expensive:

http://3dprint.com/54442/nylon-680-3d-filament/

Comment

Yeah, I had thought about that and T-Glass. The only problem is testing. Who wants their $100 dollar sea sponge turned into a Guinea pig? Not many people I'm sure.

Wish I could use my Guinea pigs, they're monsters. Joking though, but not about the second part, they ARE monsters.

Comment

Working...
                    X