New 3D Printing Enthusiast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 3D Printing Enthusiast

Glad to be part of the forum. I started out last January with a refurbished Monoprice Mini Select v1. After a few months the UI board failed and could not locate a replacement board as it was a version 1. But it did get me started and got me off to a good start. It did manage to get me addicted to 3D printing so 2 weeks ago I purchased a new QI DI X-Plus and wow am I having fun! I'm trying to graduate from TinkerCAD up to Fusion 360 but I always wind-up going back to TinkerCAD to side-step the learning curve. Being so new to the hobby, TinkerCAD meets most of my needs except for when I need accurate model measurements. I tried creating a couple of vacuum hose adapters for different power tower tools in my wood working shop and really had to struggle getting the diameters exactly right!

My other hobbies are ham radio, electronics, woodworking and computer programming. I'm starting my 3rd year of retirement from the software development industry. I hope to make new friends and share success stories (and some horror stories as well) with all of you in the forum.

Hi Tribander and welcome to the forum. I'm a new comer like you and am also retired. I wanted to find something a little better than TinkerCAD and tried several other CAD programmes finally I found what I though for me was the best and FREE. This programme is called Skechup and comes in two versions one is free and the other costs dollars. The free one is fine for the likes of me who wants to explore 3D and learn without costing an arm and leg. And although at this stage of my life I don't know how long this interest will last. I do know I am very interested in this and believe it is only at the beginning of things to come. I am also a woodworker and interested in computers. My 3D printer is a Anet A8 which you have to put together as a kit. I don't know what a QI DI X-Plus is but I'm going to look it up. Regards Col

Comment

Hi Col, thanks for the nice welcome reply and info regarding Sketchup. I've downloaded it and hope to find time this weekend to explore its features and ease of use. Looks like it starts right off giving you an opportunity to engage in a tutorial, I like that! And after buying the QIDI X-Plus I'm all in for FREE!

Sounds as though we have some things in common and that's great because it always helps when we share our trails and tribulations with a new hobby! I plan on looking up the Anet A8 and see what it's all about. I can relate to you with regards to this 3D printing thing being in it's infancy, surely as the user base grows it will [FONT=arial,sans-serif]undoubtedly advance through many steps of evolution. I think back to the days of dot-matrix printing for home computers back in the 80's. I thought it was so cool back then when I got my first Epson MX80 but I think it wins a prize for crude today. Regards, Rick[/FONT]

Comment

Hi Rick, I am a retired letterpress/offset printer and I had a dot matrix printer as well. In fact even a 5 inch floppy drive computer with no hard drive. Back then I thought it was brilliant. I had a look at the QIDI X-Plus and it looks like a really nice machine and the best part it is all enclosed. Good luck and please stay in touch as I am interested in how you get on and I am sure we can share knowledge etc. Regards Col

Comment

Working...
        X
        yobit