Mono-Layer model or Single-layered model or One-Layer 3D Printed Models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mono-Layer model or Single-layered model or One-Layer 3D Printed Models

The Modelmaker 6 Pro by Sanders Prototype, Inc could print single layers of 5 mils or 0.005 inches. Some of the 3D printer's inkjet nozzles and ink were bought from Howtek, Inc at the start of its production in 1994. The Howtek inkjets orifice size was 0.0032 inches and the drop size in flight was no more than about 0.004 inches. This meant the desired printed layer could "not" be printed in one-pass of printing. The same layer had to be printed a minimum of two times to achieve the desired layer height. Liquid Hot-Melt ink drops are effected by gravity and surface conditions. If I recall it may have taken three (3) printing passes over one layer to build up the material level sufficiently before the milling cutter ground off the solid ink to the 0.005 inch height.
    My point here is that everyone speaks of layers as the thickness of one pass of printing or one 3D printed layer. UV cured resins work best with certain layer thicknesses. FDM printers deposit melted plastic at one set height and it it is too large a gap the material will not flow correctly as I understand it. Sintered metal printer layers may also have limits on the layer thickness to optimize material melting.
    I am wonder what the maximum layer depth can be for each technology when the number of print passes is greater than one. Does any 3D printer software allow printing larger layer depths based on design requirements and not material limitations? Is inkjet Hot-Melt the only technology that printed layers thicker than its drop size?
    Can I 3D print a single layer model and have it meet the Additive Manufacturing definition or is it time to define AM differently? It should also be noted that printing with liquid Hot-Melt inks with a rigid drop size requires 'milling' off excess material to achieve the desired layer thickness. Additive Manufacturing is an additive and a subtractive process when its defined for the Sanders Prototype, inc technology.
    I have a few Modelmaker 6 Pro inkjet printers if anyone would like to see one. These can be seen at the 3DInkjetmuseum (still in early stages but open to visit with appointment)
Working...
X