Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from Sydney

Morning from a wet and windy Sydney.

Iím currently learning a bit about 3D printing and CAD along with Arduino, C++ and electronics.

My first 3D print project was to change an GoPro adaptor on my mtb helmet to fit my light

This is the original camera adaptor

This is the printed part attached to the light. The tolerances were a bit tight but it works

I donít have a printer. Iím using the maker space facilities at my local library

https://www.sutherlandshire.nsw.gov....ces/MakerSpace

I had my second project printed at the library yesterday. Itís an adaptor for a water bottle spanner to open trangia fuel bottles (I work as an outdoor instructor )

The guy at the library adjusted some of the settings. They have a Taz5 printer and use a version of Cura. Itís adapted to use 1.75mm filaments. He adjusted the layer thinkness to something like 0.25 and increased the wall thickness.

The first (blue) print had some errors. He told me the filament was a bit old and about how it can absorb water. I watched the CNC kitchen video about how to dry filaments. They did a second print using some newer (orange) filament which was ok. TBH the quality was pretty similar to my untrained eye. The prints took 3ish hours and cost about AU$10 (only charged for 1 due to errors)

I need to learn about what tolerances to put in my designs. The blue print was a tight but usable print. The orange one has needed a bit of filing.

Iíve got a few more projects I want to get printed and some questions. Iíll as those in the relevant forums.

I think itís super cool that I can envisage a solution to a problem, come up with or find (Thingiverse etc) a design and get it made cost effectively just across the road. Having a desktop printer of my own would be super awesome of course and would allow a tighter learning cycle but I havenít had to spend the cash and also have access to the print expertise at the library

Collapse

To post a reply to this thread you must be a member. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Please join our community today!
Working...
X