Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello!

Hi Everyone, I've been lurking on a few forums for a few weeks now and finally took the plunge to dive in, both to get answers and maybe help someone else if anyone out there runs into some of the problems that I have managed to... well, manage. I wouldn't say "fix, " 'cause I'm never really sure if I have!
    I'm a 3D newbie, a refugee from the liberal arts, and don't yet even know all of the names of the parts of the machine that I work with. BTW, that machine is a FlashForge Creator Pro. It was "given" to the library where I work because its previous owner could not figure out how to make it work. Since then, I've made bottle openers, whistles, can holders, key holders and a mini-serrated knife folding knife. While the prints are not always perfect, I get better at adjusting the builds the more I do them. Nonetheless, there are problems. So, I'm off to post a help request.

Lisa

Have you noticed that the "Views" number is increasing each time you open your own post? I'm wondering if anyone is reading these posts beside the authors. I have seen some replies to posts and this may be your first. Are you getting any feedback on this?
    I'm writing to you mostly because you want some answers or feedback on your machine? I have authored some things and see no response. I am thinking that 3D printing is slowly fading into oblivion from lack of curiosity. This forum is supposedly popular but not that responsive.
    Sorry to be asking you but after a month are you disheartened by this site? No, I don't work for them.

Comment

Hi Inkjetfacts, Thanks for your answer -- you are right, at this point, any answer is good. I tried not to look at my own post just because I had noticed that doing so would artificially increase the apparent exposure of the post. I just waited. And continued to try to solve the problem -- which I did manage to do. But your question is a crucial one and deserves consideration. I assumed that no one answered my post because a) the answer was so dumb anyone with experience would not bother to answer (it turned out to be a matter of adjusting the toolhead offsets) or b) the people who have really become proficient with this material are too busy practicing the trade and don't even look at these questions. So, the only people looking here are newbies like me. That said, as I browse sites like Thingiverse or (my favorite) Cult, there are so many new projects and files coming online that I can't agree 3d printing is totally fading into oblivion -- but I would agree that it has become a niche community. It's a lot like Ham radio -- you have to really want it to do it. The biggest problem is that there isn't really a good, organized way of learning all the tricks to setting up, mixing, printing and troubleshooting. The whole field is very hit-or-miss and trial-and-(lots of )-error. There are a lot of free coding classes online but no one is really putting together any tutorials for amateur 3d printers. I assume tech schools, engineering programs and the like do this sort of training -- but for a middle-aged librarian (which is what I am) -- learning this stuff is a matter of trying, failing, researching, and trying again. I appreciate your answer and -- and btw, here is the answer to my gurney/carriage problem:

Solution: when I compared the suggested z toolhead offset from the owner's manual to the actual setting on my machine they were different by tenfold! The setting should have been about 30mm but was actually 334mm. How did it get this way? 8 staff people and a potentially infinite number of patrons have access to this machine. Anyone could have changed the setting. The setting appears in section 4.2 of the FlashForge CreatorPro manual. Thanks to anyone who thought about this and hope this answer helps someone else.

Comment

Glad you figured it out. I work with customers of inkjet 3D printers. 98% of my job is listening and making suggestions but occasionally I send parts or repair a customer part on their machines. You are absolutely right this is a hit or miss self serving industry. That's why I say it is a slow evolving technology. Word of mouth advertising and some media coverage has promoted it. I think the line " I can print a gun" is the most replied comment I hear.
        Thanks you your answer that solved your problem. Good luck with your printer.

Comment

Working...
        X