Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with rafts, why do they insist on making prints look terrible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with rafts, why do they insist on making prints look terrible?

Hello all,
    I have an issue when it comes to rafts and I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice.

I have recently been printing a piece that simply refuses to release from the print bed, even when I add a small chamfer to help with the release, it won't budge. I thought I was going to break my print bed the last time I tried removing a print.
    This is due to them being dense with 4 parameter walls and 5 parameters on the top and bottom, so they don't flex as easily as 2 parameter prints.
    I need the parts to stand up to some wear and they do just fine, it's just getting them off the print bed that is wonky.

So, I thought using a raft would help.
    All it has done is make my part look ugly.

The photos I have attached show similar parts, the one on the left has been printed with a raft (2 layers), the one on the right no raft.
    Nothing else changed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130370.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	120414
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130373.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	447.1 KB
ID:	120415

The raft print insists on creating this weird molten delaminated chamfer, which is not in the .stl.
    Also the bottom of the print with the raft looks like my printer has gone rouge.

The printer: Prusa MK2/s
    Slic3r: Prusa Edition

I print on blue tape that has been washed with isopropanol prior to printing because this gives a nice bottom layer and it makes it easier to release (usually).

Can someone offer some pointers?
    What am I doing wrong?
    Or is this just how raft prints look?

Thank you in advance for all your help

Starts
    01-29-2019
    Ends
    02-01-2019

Rafts leave the surface looking really rough normally.
    Usually you won't want to use a Raft unless you have part that doesn't stay stuck to the print bed.
    Looking at your part you might want to just use the Skirt option or if the piece warps and comes free of the print bed you would switch to the Brim option.

I would only use a Raft if I had small parts to print that don't have much surface contact with the print bed.

If you're having issues getting a part to release after printing try a glass print bed surface and allow the parts to cool to room temperatures before trying to remove them.

Comment

Collapse

To post a reply to this thread you must be a member. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Please join our community today!
    Working...
    X