Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think about 3d printing

Hi,

I am doing research on how the 3d printing market works and how 3d companies work for the reason of starting up a 3d printing company in the future and want to learn from people feedback on the current system. I currently do a lot of 3d printing with my current engineering company so i have a good knowledge of the tech and how it physical works and what to do.

I would like to get people feedback (if the forum is happy with this), i would like to know:

1 - Do you have a 3d printer at home and how much do you use it?
    2 - Do you use other companies to print your work if so why and what do you like about the company you use?
    3 - Do you use 3d printing middle company forums to get prints and CAD files made?
    4 - If you do use forums to get stuff printed, why instead of going straight to a company?
    5- What do you enjoy/like about 3d printing?
    6 - What do you dislike about the 3d printing?
    7 - Anything else that comes to mind

Any of your thought on the above questions would be greatly appreciated

Alex

Hey Alex 3d printing market is booming in upcoming years, we all have to understand the depth of the technology, now days 3d Printing works in healthcare and Medical industry. This is revolutionary research for all humans to go one step up. read more information with sample here.

thanks and regards.
    Chris
    The 3D printing medical devices marketis expected to be around $9.8billion by 2025.This can be attributed to growing prevalence of osteoarthritis in elderly people, rise in number of injuries related to dental and cranio-maxillofacial due to increase in incidences of accidents, and increased awareness regarding personal care.Ease of development of customized medical products with 3D printing technology is another vital factor responsible for the growth of this market.

Comment

Hi Alex,

Great to see that you're also interested in 3D printing. Are you planning to provide a 3D printing service or building a production model? I'm working for (and answering on behalf of) AMR Europe, a reseller and serivce provider for high-end 3D printing systems.
      I'll try to answer your question for as far as a I can.

1 - Do you have a 3d printer at home and how much do you use it?
      I don't, since I can print anything I want at my job. If I couldn't, I would definitly get one. For simple parts in fixing stuff around the house, for building models and all other sorts of small things where very specific things can cost quite alot if you had to buy it from a store. sidenote: I'm a trained in various CAD applications, so I can design most of these things myself.

2 - Do you use other companies to print your work if so why and what do you like about the company you use?
      We get alot of questions at AMR Europe about this aswell. We have our own partners where we redirect these questions to. But I can imagine that for a lot of people it is still a tech that they don't know of, or they can't imagine 3D printing being cheap or cost-effective (this is not true, as you might know already).

3 - Do you use 3d printing middle company forums to get prints and CAD files made?
      The people I know who use 3D printing for their own ends, draw the simple things themselves with simple and free CAD-software, or go to websites and forums to check if there is already an existing design. (grabCAD, thingiverse, etc.)

4 - If you do use forums to get stuff printed, why instead of going straight to a company?
      Mostly because of costs. People who provide the 3D printing service from their homes don't have to calculate costs like a company has to do (workspace, salary, insurances).
      Our point on this; If its for modelling, go private. If the parts has an application and needs to be dependable, look for a company.

5- What do you enjoy/like about 3d printing?
      If you can design it, you can build it. Even if most people don't go much further than printing figurines or other pre-made models, its still the thought of the endless possibilities a 3D printer has. If you can design en engine, you can print every part for a fraction of the cost and build it yourself at home.

6 - What do you dislike about the 3d printing?
      It is still limited by our knowledge about materials. The construction and software aren't a problem, since it long existed from conventional CNC (milling)-machines. But to control the different variables a polymer adds to the AM (Additive Manufacturing) process is a whole different ballgame. PLA is quite easy, ABS is already very hard and things like PEEK (not used by private clients) is still a huge hurdle for many companies. Then there are all the patents companies place on tech that should be available to all make sure the development of 3D printing is faster.

7 - Anything else that comes to mind
      If you're thinking about setting up a 3D printing company, make sure you know what markets you're targetting. Every industry has its own reasons to choose 3D printing and will pick a different tech. A dentist would rather go for SLA or DLP, while an engineering company would rather have FDM. We even have experience with placing metal printers at customers, who are using them to develop all sorts of things.

I hope my answers help you. I'm very curious what your company is going to do with 3D printing!

greeating from AMR_Europe

Comment

Hi Chris_Harris and AMR_Europe thanks for the reply. Really interesting to hear your answers. I am looking to start new online service and am wanting to try and understand more the market of 3d printing from the people that do it. I am still hammering out the finals of the business model.

AMR_Europe do you have any ideas on what the most common print size is. Given the capabilities and limitations of 3d printing currently there must be data or a figure in the air that would say most of the jobs we print are between x size and y size?

Chris_Harris and AMR_Europe - where do you see 3D printing going? are we seeing more home printing farms or massive printing factories as being the main direction in the future?

Comment

Hi Alex,

Most of the printers we sell have a building platform of about 200x200mm (and another 200mm Z-direction). We offer bigger ones, (250x230, X-Y) but those are aimed at more specialized materials.
          End-user parts 3D printed made from ABS are challenging to print above a certain size. That's why there are few companies offering large, functional 3D printers that can print ABS.
          There are bigger ones (our associated firm SDD B.V. is developing a large scale production printer, planned release next year), but there is a very specific application for those.

If you're offering a 3D printing service,look for the larger ABS printers (200 squared or bigger) so that you can handle most jobs. If you're thinking about specialty materials (PEEK, ABS-Carbon, PA, PC) than make sure you're budgetting for more expensive printers.

To your second question; wide-spread home use of 3D printers is still a long way off. The people aren't that well introduced yet to the technology and don't think the cost and effort to learn how to use 3D printers outweigh the benefits. There are plenty of platforms to download ready-to-print parts from, but those are only known to hobbyists and people from the industry itself. So it will take some time before there is an adaptation for home-use.
          But there will be printing factories pretty soon. Large scale printers, stacked in large halls to print parts by the hundreds. The technology is still evolving and the printing speeds are getting faster and the materials stronger. End-user parts will be cheaper to produce and quick to deliver. That will be the main selling point of the industry. This will still be a small industry at first, but will develop as the tech evolves further.

If I may give a tip; Make sure you're offering something that is hard to come by. Buying and operating a 200x200 (or even 300x300) PLA/ABS 3D printer doesn't have to cost much, but there already is a strong competition in this field (just look at 3DHubs). Investing in a printer that prints exotic materials is quite expensive, but you will have less competition in the field and have clients with larger budgets.
          Or do both if you have the budget. In the end its about what your market position is and how well your known in the field of potential clients.

Comment

Hey Alex, Steve here.

I am a 3D printer consultant and have been using and advising people to use the 3D printers for a number of years now. 3D printers are my personal favorite and I have a number of good equipment at home. I like every concept regarding the 3D printing technology.
            Buy Cheap & Best DIY 3D Printer Kit at Discounted Price now. We have a great collection of 3D printers available for sale. Check our small & large 3D printers, Check prices, Vendors & Reviews.

Comment

Collapse

To post a reply to this thread you must be a member. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Please join our community today!
            Working...
            X